1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Long Term GM guy thinking Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 353628, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 353628

353628 Junior Member

I've had GM's for years, need to upgrade to a heavyer truck - thinking a diesel - GM doesn't offer the Plow prep package for their crewcab 2500HD - It's not a problem to with the f250 super duty. I can hang any plow I want on it (thinking a Boss V 9ft 2) 6,000 front GVR.

Now as a long term GM guy its hard to start thinking Ford, but the fact they didn't go bank rupt says something in itself.

Anyway I put a similar post on the Chevy Truck forum, Of course all those guys said to go with the GM duramax -

I've heard a couple issue with the new Fords pulling in snow to the intake, Also something about they don't back up fast (can't imagine that) and then the durability of the ford Diesel.

Figured someone on this forum would be able to tell me why to go with the Ford F250 super duty.

Why should I buy go with the Ford Diesel over the GM duramax - (or should I wait and get the 2011 Ford next spring?
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

If it was my choice I would wait to get the '11, it seems to be a really good motor they're making, but we will know the truth when it actually is on the market. My .02
  3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I would not, will not buy something the first year out. That being said i would go with a 2010 or a left over 09, they are doing great deals on 09's right now. I have a 2009 F-350 with a 6.4 and love the truck, great power, good ride and pretty good fuel mileage. The 6.4 in the 08's-10's is a great motor. I believe that ford builds a stronger truck but the gm's do have a good motor and very nice interior. I have owned superduty diesels since I started driving and love them. They also have a straight axle which is much stronger than IFS, The TQ shift is also a great trans. I would say buy the ford and be happy :} One last thing the fords are considerably less money than a similar equipped GM.
  4. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

resale is way way higher on a gm dmax than ford, and i wouldnt go as far to say the 6.4 is a great motor. Its had its fair share of problems. The LMM has provent to be the best engine out of the 6.7 cummins, 6.4 powerstroke and 6.6 duramax.
  5. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

The LMM has done the best cause its a LBZ with a DPF and the LBZs are good. Nothing new to go terribly wrong except the DPF. I like the 6.4, May end up buying a slightly used 09 in the spring
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I know a 6.4 on its 3rd engine with under 100k.

The new Fords are nice, don't get me wrong, but I'm still way too partial to GM.

That being said, I think plow prep is a joke. I've had MVP's on every one of my CC Dmaxes and never one problem. And I run high milage trucks.

Not to mention, you're considering going with a 3/4 ton truck, yet expect it to be as HD as possible. If thats the case, consider going with a SRW F350 or 3500 GM.

Now for the going bankrupt thing.........that's what the bailout prevented. For one there's waaaaaay more to it than many think, for two I think it says something for GM that the Gov't was willing to step in and give them a loan. It sounds like a lot, but 15 mil really isn't, and the outlook is to supposedly have it payed back 3 years sooner than required. GM was the leader in sales for the last 84 years, and last year lost out to Toyota......not Ford. More sales means more warranty claims, means more $$ to potentially lose. 0% for the last how many years through GMAC, and the list goes on. All their $$ is out, and personally I can understand why. All to please the customer, and I am pleased.

The gov't helped out every manufacturer. Cash for clunkers bailed them all out.......especially Ford. They were the highest amount sold on the list for that program. GM was like 10th. If you really want to do the figures, I'd say Ford was helped out more than GM in the big picture.

Finally, Ford had a sh!t ton of layoffs, many permanent, just to prevent BK. They kicked how many of their employees to the curb..............Now I know GM closed dealers too, but that's not to say others didn't basically do the same thing.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. rob_cook2001

I do not want to start a GM vs Ford discussion, I think everyone of the Big 3 make good truck, and all have had problems. Resale in my area is not much different between all three (unless it is a 03 or 04 6.0).
    I have not seen any 6.4's with major motor problems but i am sure there are some out there, with so many trucks you are bound to have some problems, I have seen a LBZ burn a hole in a piston due to a hung injector. I have also ran into more than a few electrical problems in Late model gm's (power seats that went out, power mirrors, and radio controls on the wheel. Like I said they all make good trucks but I have never been disappointed in my superdutys.
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Engine is one thing, but you must remember that the Ford is better for plowing as it has a straight axle up front, all GM did on the 2500HD and 3500HD's was make the frame deeper. For example, it went from 4" tall to 5-1/2"...again this is just an example but you should get the point. But as you said this is the reason Ford can offer a plow prep package and GM cannot.

Flip side, my last 3 trucks did not have the plow package and I never had front end problems. I figure I plow as much as the next guy so it's all how you take care of them. I never drive around with the plow on when not plowing....

Just my .02 cents worth :p
  9. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

"better" if you like having your spine rearranged everytime you hit a bump. maybe your roads are in better condition there. ours arent so I would have a REALLY hard time saying that the straight axle is "better".

and as for going with a ford diesel over a GM diesel ...:laughing: good luck with that [​IMG]
  10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

lol...what a pissing match. i hate getting involved in these discussions....its all about brand loyalty...another dissatisfied gm customer says enough lol...i dont see a dodge guy yet trying to defend his brand!! but id go dodge for the solid axle. chevys are for grocery moms looking for a smooth ride. real trucks have solid axles!
  11. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

might double check here, but i dont think the new dodge is solid front axle. ford was the first to go independent front suspension and they never figured out how to keep tires on it. I have an 88 f250 with ifs, i have a 99 f250 with solid front, i also have an 01 gmc with ifs...its not about brand loyalty, its about what works best for a variety of situations...and the gm ifs does...period.
    the ford solid axle works too, just not better...although if you intend to abuse your machine, the solid axle is cheaper to fix usually.

the more i think about it, the more this thread annoys me and should be deleted. You posted this in the chevy forum and in the ford forum. you also posted that "those chevy guys were just all telling you to get a chevy because they are biased" so what if the ford guys do the same thing. you still havent gained anything, all you've done is incite a riot with nothing to show for it. you still are gonna have to make up your own mind, you still dont have anyhting more than hearsay to base YOUR opinion on...and best case, even the ford guys admit they dont have a diesel they can count on at the moment.

sounds like a wasted effort to me and I feel dumber for having "tried to help"
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  12. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Oh, that was great. Thank you, I needed a good laugh today.
  13. rob_cook2001

and best case, even the ford guys admit they dont have a diesel they can count on at the moment.

I am a ford guy and totally Disagree with that. I have driven ford diesels my whole life (have also owned 4 cummins and have a cr cummins in my ford race truck..But I will not hesitate to drive any of my powerstrokes across the country. Even my 6.0 they are great running motors when taken care of.

THUNDERBOLT Junior Member

Lets see the Ford truck has out sold GM trucks for how long now??????:)
  15. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I would forget about any of the newer trucks and go for a 2000-2002 7.3. Millions of them out there and they have proved themselves to be rock solid.

Take what you saved over buying a new truck and put it towards a BTS transmission and you will never regret it. If you do find an older 7.3, look at a set of "X-Code" front springs. They are the springs used in the Snow Plow Prep Package and are standard on the F-450's.

I will say that I have picked up two of my contracts because the guy broke the front end off of his Chevy while plowing. A straight axle just seems to handle it better although they do ride rougher.

In my opinion Chevy got the interior right, Dodge got it right with the Cummins and Ford got it right with everything else. The combination of the three would be a perfect truck.
  16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

your kidding right? how does the gm ifs work better ? i dont like adjusting torsion bars to "help" hold my plows weight.im going to disagree with you on that one. there isnt but one advantage to ifs.........ride comfort.......and u can count on it breaking. i am ford biased BTW
  17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'll try to find where the #'s were posted for the actual amounts granted per brand. I was being serious, not trying to make you laugh. You'd probably sh!t if you really knew. Ford was #1 and GM was #10 that I do know........cash for clunkers that is. The amount of Fords that were bought and traded in were phenominal. Most don't view it as gov't aid, but what do you call it then?
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Here ya go, no #'s but the vehicles. The first program was alloted 1 BILLION dollars and it burned up in the first MONTH. That's how much went toward the trades ($4,500 each). That was expected to last a year. That's just the first round. Here's the list:

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
    1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:
    1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevy Cobalt
  19. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds to me like there were a hell of a lot more Fords still on the roads than any other.
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's not what it tells me, I view it as that many were veiwed worthy of being junked vs road worthy. JMHO