1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Long Push - take a look

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Two long pushes, one site is 2 the other is 3. The longest run is about 700'

Do I need a backhoe or wheel loader, or will a 12,000 Lb track skidsteer handle it with a 10' rubber edge pusher?

For the haters - I do have the signed contract

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Split the runs in half.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What kind of track skid are you running that weighs 12000lbs?? And can the snow not be windrow out to edge(the pics make it appear so)??
  4. MatthewG

Takeuchi TL250 - the north site has a bank the other site has a curb
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

As for the machine. Have you used this machine before for snow work?
  6. MatthewG

Nope - that's why I'm asking, its my buddies - we know it has the HP just unsure of the traction, I guess we will find out in another month or 2
  7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Could you give up a few feet on the curbside to windrow it? Then as needed use the skid to clear over the curb? I realize this isn't ideal but if you had to in order to be competitive it may be an option. We have a site similar to this and windrow towards the curb with most of the snow being carried to the end. In a winter with 150" of snow we went back twice to "find" the curb with the skid. We were out maybe 2-3ft. Again, not the norm but doable if you don't have access to big iron and customer is flexible.
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Kind of what I figured. Taks are great machines for dirt work...but not so much for snow. They are slower than most of the other brand CTL's, and the oem tracks I've seen most equiped with, are horrible for snow work...unfortunately there is not a polar track option (dont understand this, considering how popular tak's have become in the excavation biz). There are tracks you can get that improve the performance...I know because 1 of my subs has some for his Gehl (same thing as a Tak 240)...i think its the solideal b track?. But just for example, our T190 BC w/polar tracks (smaller machine btw) will push a 10fter easier than his Gehl w/solideal tracks will push an 8fter. So overall, I wouldn't expect great things from that machine on snow work. The NH in your avatar would be much better.