1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Long Push - 700' Advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Aug 29, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have a long push, 670' plus the small driveway which makes about 770'

Assuming we are plowing every 2" can a truck with XLS or skidsteer with 10' box handle it?

See picture (7520), I do have tractor trailers to deal with on the warehouse side

Do I need the big steam such as a backhoe or loader?

7520.jpg

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a similar place we do with a push of just over 600'. It all has to go to the back so no windrowing. All I can say is to stay on top of it and plow as often as possible. We typically use a 8' straight blade with wings and as long as you plow every couple inches you will be fine. We had a 8" snow on a saturday night and didnt get to plow till the storm was over what a pita!

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If that's the case, sure.

You can also cut that front lot in half and windrow to both sides. You have room on both perimeters of it, and only a couple of sidewalks coming off it perpendicularly to deal with. It's obvious where the loading dock snow needs to go.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes.If you need to,made a bunch of long runs then do a angled plow towards the side and then make a last long past along the whole back side so the trucks can still back in.

5. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

Looks to me like they park trailers in the rear of the warehouse side, so I would take that into consideration when plowing / stacking...which would make me probally look at stacking my snow to the front side of the lot where those 2 cars are currently parked, or right by them to leave those spaces open and if the lot is sloped towards the front you will have less melt off running down the lot which +less chance of slip and fall from drivers getting in and out of their trucks...just my .02 cents

6. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

you should probably factor a snow melter into the bid too

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I would split the lot in half. The truck would feed the skidsteer. the skidsteer would stack the snow along the sides pushing it as far back as it can go. As the winter goes on the stack just more up and down the lot along the sides.Than window it to finsh with nice straight lines. I did a trucking company with a setup just like that one. The skid will not push the box that far with any speed of getting it done. I'm not saying it can't be done just not very speedy doing it. We just found the split and stack worked great for me.

8. MatthewG

Id think i'm good with a truck and skidsteer, its not as intimidating in person, I went and looked at it again this morning, there was only one Trailer in the whole lot, plus the 40 yard open top dumpster, good opportunity to make some money here

9. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

It is a great chance to make money, I was just going off of a lot that I currently have.
    We have a similar situation where there is limited space for a trucking facility and they don't want snow stacked at the back, so instead of having to move it later I was throwing that in there :) One of the main issues we had is that we can't windrow any where as the side of the lot is actully another building so we had to bring a skid in there to clean the wall off and push all the snow in one direction. We also use a truck in the to help the skid. Works out great.
    I am sure you will do great with this as long as we get some white gold this year falling from the sky :)

10. MatthewG

This site is just one of 6 news sites my customer offered me to bid on.

They are only getting one other bid.

One of the lots is 20 acres (Home Depot Distribution Center) - not managed by USM

Talk about a monster, I am leaving that for a sub with 4 Yard loaders

11. grandview

long plow.jpg

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Nice pic GV. Looks just like what he's facing on his loading docks.

13. grandview

Here's a place we did with 3 pickup trucks everything in the red area. Top left building is what you have sort of.We would all start driving in a circle around the whole building till it was plowed out.

walden ave1.jpg

14. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a place we did with 3 pickup trucks everything in the red area. Top left building is what you have sort of.We would all start driving in a circle around the whole building till it was plowed out.

GV: "we did" is past tense. Did you lose the account? How long did it take 3 trucks to do that property?

15. MatthewG

Here's another one I'm bidding on 1600 feet long

The whole place is 20 acres - still think my XLS is enough :eek:

photo(6).jpg

16. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I've seen a video of neige plowing a place like that using a large dump truck with a pusher on it.

17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ya, That was pretty cool..... Thumbs Up

18. fireside

fireside Senior Member

You don't really think you can do that with a truck! I would get a loader.A skidsteer will not help with that one. Work smarter not harder. I think if you take that using a truck you for sure will have problems. If the owner is only getting one bid make sure you do it right and can handle it. What a shame it would be to get all that work and lose it after two failed storms.

19. MatthewG

Dont worry it was a joke, there will be two 4 yard wheel loaders on that site if I get it

20. grandview

We,as in my old company that I worked for. Plowed it 10 years before I went on my own. I still help them out if I'm done with my stuff . We used 3 77 Chevy's with 8ft Fisher straight plows.We could pop that place off in 3 hrs. They lost it one yr and got it back after the other company ripped out 90k in curbs.