1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Long or short shaft?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ernie in, Apr 28, 2000.

1. ernie in

ernie in Guest

I am replacing my stick with an auto in my 78' 3/4 4x4. Question is, if using a T350, will I need a short or long shaft? Will the automatic fit up with the transfer case with no problem? Thanks again guys!
  2. yortengel

yortengel Senior Member

What did the transmission that you are installing, come out of? and I think the shafts are the same.
  3. 4LOW

4LOW Guest

If you've got a 205 t/c with your stick,<br>it won't mount to your T350 without an <br>adapter(Advance adapters makes one)and <br>the splines don't match. It's easier to<br>use the case that originally came with your<br>T350, as for a driveshaft, autos use shorter<br>shafts than sticks because the overall length<br>of the trans and transfer case, is longer for<br>autos, so the rear driveshafts are a different length. The front shaft should<br>be the same length, but you need to check<br>the t/c side, some have yokes and some have<br>a flange type mount.<br>4LOW