1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Long Islanders... Whats the deal here?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by jjklongisland, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

:help:I have only been plowing for about 4 years but has it ever been this bad? When are we going to have a plowable storm... I havent been out since last season... I am really getting anxious... Even if we only get 2 events I will be happy. I put some money into the beast this year and would like to recoop it. Anyone think the seasons dead? Do you think we will have 2 storms before its over? I might sell my plow equipment and buy an Icecream truck :cry:

2. SNOWMANTFM

SNOWMANTFM Junior Member

Long Island Snow Or Lack Of

My Friend Long Island Also Here Doing This 19yrs And From Experience I Can Tell You This Winter Will Be A Wash We Will Be Lucky If We Get One Its Not In The Cards This Year Pray For Next Year And Hey It Cant Be Worse Then This Year

3. jjklongisland

So you are saying there has been seasons with no plowable storms. I am almost 30 years old and havent remembered a winter where we didn't get snow... I hope we get at least 1...

4. chevykid

chevykid Member

this season is not over at all i think were gona get atleast two nice storms this year and theres one in 10 days that if it happens it could be over 12 inches soo dont say its over untile the flowers are blooming

5. jjklongisland

Where do you go for the long range forecast (10 days possible 12")

6. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

We usually get 2 plowable events a year that you can count on. But I am hoping for more since I need to recover some expenses also.

7. chevykid

chevykid Member

looks like were gona get some plowable snow if this comes to what there saying

8. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I think that tomorrows storm will be like all the others....

If it tracks this way we get alot of rain but if it goes that way we could get alot of snow. So my forecast is either we get 2 inches of rain or we could get somewhere between a dusting and 8 inches of snow... I know I missed my calling to be a weather guy...:dizzy:

9. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I will be able to tell you what we got on monday. It's funny,I ran in to a friend of mine who plows also in the beginning of the month at the sachem North play. We both jokingly said it would snow on the 22nd because I was going camping and he was going to florida. Well I am not going camping and have his accounts to do also.
    This has been a strange winter.

10. chevykid

chevykid Member

the weather forcasters are off on this storm the last storm were we gota some snow the storm cut up to the lakes sooo far west this one is gona be to the east of us soo i think no matter wut were gona stay snow maby some sleet

11. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

How did everyone make out any pictures? Snow fall total?

12. jjklongisland

I was out from 4:30 AM until around 4:00 PM.. It was alot better plowing this stuff than last storm... I hate slop... This is my 5th year and first time I broke something... I still plowed though... My E-60 isnt staying up and keeps drifting down... Also this morning I got up to plow out my Uncles Driveway and on my way there I noticed my plow was moving wierd... I pulled over and noticed that I must have sheared both bolts that the cradle mounts to the frame on the passenger side :dizzy: I hit a manhole pretty hard at my last site of the night and probably broke them then... I hate contractors that do not know how to properly set a frame and grate manhole... Has this ever happened to any of you guys? All in all was a good night and I guess 5 years without incident is good...

13. chevykid

chevykid Member

we had about 8 on the south shore like around lynbrook good snow to until the rain started comin down out at 4:30 in the mornin like powder by 6 that night hada clean up wit was under cars it was slop

14. Quality SR

Did you check the fluid level? I had that problem last year i was low on fluid. That is good after 5 years. I havent had any thing major happen to me in that time either. Any pictures?

15. Quality SR

I was in Lynbrook today (Distinct Motoring) It look like you guys got a little more snow then my area did. There were still guys out today cleaning up.

16. jjklongisland

Yeah I kept topping her off, wasnt taking much fluid at all... I wound up taking off the E-60 and putting on my buddies E-47. I am gonna have the E-60 rebuilt by Angelos this week... I also got the frame reattached, that was fun :dizzy:. I use grade 5 bolts... I would rather have them shear off when hitting something hard then use Grade 8's and bend my mounting carton... I cant believe how much slower the E-47 is...

17. Quality SR

Wow. How long were you out of service for?

18. jjklongisland

The sagging plow issue I just dealt with the whole storm... The manhole incident happened after we were done plowing and I just went to shovel a sidewalk at one of the sites at the end of the storm and after shoveling I said to my self, I want to push that pile a little further back and bam, manhole cover... I was litterally the last push of the storm so I didnt miss any work... I decided to fix it today in case we get something Tuesday night... So I guess it couldnt have happened at a better time :confused:

19. Quality SR

Well, you are real Lucky it happened when it did. LOL. I mean i am sorry to hear that you had problems but atleast it wasn't in the beginning of the storm. You fixed it today expecting this "winter storm warning to 11pm" was going to drop more snow. The weather people suck. Everytime i encounter an obstacle i make a map of it on my notes for the next time. I kept hitting this manhole at this lot, i think i hit it 3 times. lol. I made a little map of it and its location for the next time around.

20. jjklongisland

I hear ya... This time around I was plowing a lot of new sites so its kinda hard... My first night ever plowing 5 years ago I was plowing this bus loop and this manhole was sticking up like 2 or 3 inches... I was plowing the second row of snow ever and hit it at like 15 mph... It stopped my truck dead in its tracks and both my plow lights snapped off at there bases and were hanging by there wires... Thanks god for duct tape... Lets just say I will never forget that manhole. I almost quit plowing right there and then and said what the hell did I get myself into...

As far as the weatherman are concerned I think this has been the worst year for accuracy and weathermen... They are really blowing alot of forecasts... Oh well...