1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lokking to buy 08 6.4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sle, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Hi, I'm in the market for a used diesel truck. I currently run duramax and so far so good.
    The only reason why I'm looking at ford is because gm are way out of my price range.
    Now I found a several 08s with low mileage and within my budget.
    I am not to concern about mpg, but more concerned about reliability.
    I know ford has had its share of problems, but I'm looking past that.

Thanks for your input. BTW, I'm not into juicing trucks up, I prefer stock.
  2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you asking about what you should look for when buying or problems down the road?
  3. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

No. Just genaral information seeing how I never owned a ford product.
  4. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

gotch ya. Well, 2008 was the first year for the new 6.4L diesel powerplant. Some may disagree with me, but it seemed troublesome. Here's my limited knowledge of it but keep in mind that I never owned one, just driven them. Fuel mileage was poor on the majority of them, others may have different opinions on that. The radiators seemed to be a pretty big issue. Also, the EGR coolers would blow but I believe ford has a fix for this. They had some issues with the PCM that a "re-flash" should fix. They lacked some low end grunt, but supposedly thats in the tuning and not a lack in power made by the motor. A few had oil pump cover leaks. Im not bashing the truck. If you asked me to tell you the issues with GM products, I'd write just as long a list.

On another note, they are smooth running and quiet. They seem to have plenty of towing power. Chime in anybody if i got something wrong.

I wouldnt tune it except for doing the DPF delete.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

one other thing to watch for is when it is EXTREMELY cold out, here in NH last year i personally saw 8 or 10 6.4's froze up on the highway. not long after that i rode in my friends 6.4 and we broke down. LONG story short keep the conditioner in it and possibly look into the grill covers. other than that the twin turbo is a KILLER powerhouse and an awsome ride. good luck Thumbs Up
  6. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thanks getlemen for your comments. Yea I hear you on gm.
    My duramax has been good, but like you said, I have had the fuel pump replaced @ 20,000 miles, the dash replaced due too it jumping from 5000 miles to 12000 in one day:laughing: and not to mention brakes replaced every year. But other than that, its been a good truck.
    I just dont want to spend so much money on a truck. Plus im looking for something with low miles under 45000.
    Just seems that car dealers all around have little inventory due to people keeping their trucks longer.
    Thanks again.
  7. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Oh dont get me wrong, I love my GM's and wouldnt buy anything else. But I'm also a reasonable person and am well aware that every model and generation of vehicle is suspect to its inherent problems lol.
  8. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Turn around and run from the 6.4's! My buddy is a service manager for a local Ford dealership, and even he told me the same. To many problems all around with them, and terrible fuel economy to boot!
  9. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thanks to all for the advice and warnings.
    But I went ahead this weekend and purchased a 2008 250 6.4 29000 org miles with a clean oasis and a build date of 08/08
    wich i thought was strange? wouldnt that be considered a 2009 model?
    Regardless, I am very happy with it.
    Man, when u put it in tow mode, she flys like a raped ape. Ford really has done good
    seeing how the 6.0 almost put them in bankrupcy.
    Milage is good, 16-17 highway on cruise.BTW, its an extended cab 4wd.
    I was a bit leary at first, but the manger basically told me that oil changed every 5000 miles fuel filter every other and drain the water seperator once a month.
    Did I mentioned how bad a$$ this truck is..
  10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

DPF Delete, Tune it, Block the EGR, Straight Pipe it, kinda like the 6.0.
  11. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

congratsThumbs UpThumbs Up now we need some PICS!!! :drinkup:
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We need more people to let us know about the 6.4 too. I have drove the 7.3 the 6.0 for many miles. With private ambulances. Never had a 6.4 to drive. The 6.0 SUCKS, I have had all of them die under me! I love how the engine runs and preforms. But it breaks way to much! I have had a few 7.3's die due to cam sensor's. But after the new sensor's were installed it was no longer an issue.
  13. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

16-17mpg? No way is that the lie-o-meter?
  14. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Sorry, been busy working.
    Since i bought, I've logged a little over 2500 miles.
    What I like about it:
    Seat are comfy.
    Built in trailer brake
    Trany shifts hard and is well built
    Engine has more than enough power to tow my 12000 load
    And feels like it handles my load better than my GM 3500
    Mirrors excellent visibility
    Contrary to what people say, that's what I'm seeing as far as mpg.
    Probably due to extended cab short box. That's why I choose it over a crew cab.
    I don't think your going to see excellent mpg out of any new trucks regardless of the make due to the emission crap.
    The truck actually feels like it has more power when towing than empty.
    I'm sure theirs other pluses but I cant think of the top of my head.

What I don't like:
    No manual lock out hubs for electronic 4x4.
    That's gotta put wear in tear on the front end.
    Its to quit compared to my dmax.
    The twin tip exausht is the shape of a women's body:laughing:
    The spare tire is a pain in the a$$ to remove
    Rides a little hard, but its not unbearable.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. So much so, I am going to sell my 06 dmax dump
    and purchase a 2011 450 diesel.
    I do believe ford had to change its game plan due to the 6.0.
    The horror stories you hear about ford trucks really didn't faze me considering how many trucks roll off the assembly line.
    By all means, I am not bashing other manufactures, I just think that Ford makes a stout truck.
    Their is no truck out their that is going to run perfect. Eventually down the road, I am sure to run into a few hiccups, but it just comes down to maintence and taking care of your vehicle.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look at all a the huge fleets. They are Ford's! The reason? They last,some functioning with multiple system failures. But they still do the job. I just wish they got the 6.0 right. It's such a great engine/transmission combo when it's running right.I thought they would get it right with the 6.4 . I hope they did. Any problems with engines are tended to be reported to be with every engine. But with the huge amount of trucks Ford builds problems could be 1 in 10,000.
  16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They definitely do. I think they really got it right with the SuperDuty line. They are almost overbuilt and handle jobs very well.
  17. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

We have 2 6.4's and love the hell out of them. Wish they didnt change to the 6.7 or i would have another 6.4. Both are tuned and the dpf's have fallen off. They both get driven daily, worked, dragraced and sledpulled. The crewcab runs a 13.2 in the 1/4 all night long and the reg cab has ran a 12.9!!!
  18. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

i think you made a good decision. i have the same truck you bought (250 ext cab short bed) i tuned mine and deleted the dpf and it makes a huge difference, the truck runs strong and fuel no longer gets into the crank case because it doesn't go into regen any more. even if you don't tune it change the engine oil and fuel filters like the service guy said. i swear that more than half the problems with modern diesels is people don't know what the heck they are doing with trucks anymore for maintenence. just my opinion anyway. Matt
  19. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

I know some one that is pushing 634 rwhp on the stock trans and no problems
  20. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Yeah not for long before something makes an early exit