1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Logistics of subbing out & worker's comp

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by yardsmith, Oct 5, 2015.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

Hey guys-
    Bidding on a sizeable snow contract this week, & will most likely sub it out to a friend of mine who has bigger equipment & a bigger operation.
    Question is I'm a solo operator & am not required to carry worker's comp. He has workers comp for his guys, but since I would be subbing it do I need it for him to be 'working under me'? Or can you 'categorize' it differently on paper so that all that is needed is what he has currently for his crew? Or will his WC cover him as the primary?
    Haven't been down this road before; wanted to make sure I have everything lined up properly
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A subcontractor is a stand alone business.
    They are not your responsibility nor are they your employee...
    They are a business all to their own who you hire to do a job

your issue is showing your customer the papers that are not from your business but those from another company that is actually doing the work and your concerned they will say something about it?

You can ask your subcontractor for his paper work and submit to your customer.

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

yes I would have to keep my ducks in a row because the parent company said they don't care if someone 'helps me', but would prefer me not to 'hand off the job to someone else', but this is a good friend I have worked with for many many yrs

4. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Just pay the minimum to get a workers comp certificate. Im in Ohio, it was $50 a year and I believe it jumped to $100. Gives you the same certificate as a company with 100 employees

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Deleted. I'm drunk at the present moment, and nothing I say will be upheld in a court of law.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

If your Subcontractor does not pay his workers comp and there is a claim filed - they will come after you next. Give the contract to him and have him pay you a finders fee.

7. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Yardsmith, workers compensation insurance laws vary from state to state so best to contact your local independent insurance agent for advice on this. Best to contact one that deals with a lot of contracting insurance. They will be your best resource. Good luck.
    Ben/Insurance

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

All states are different, get insurance certificates from him, and if you want have him add you as an additionally insured party. I think then if the insurance lapses, you would be notified.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN