1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Logging out

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Young Pup, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Has anybody had any problems with logging out. When I log out it redirects me to a link to click on a link to log out. then I come back to website as a guest and it still shows me signed in. Is it this on my end or is anybody else having problems.

Thanks in advance.

JP

2. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

I am currently unable to reproduce this problem. What browser and operating system (with versions) are you using, and do you have cookie support enabled in your browser?

3. Young Pup

I am using Windows xp 2002 verison and Using mircosoft internet explorer 6.0 version. I don't believe I have the cookie support enabled but I am still trying to figure that out. I have copied the message below for your information.

Thanks,

JP

vBulletin Message
    An error occurred while attempting to log you out. Click here to log out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I mentioned this in another thread, so I apologize for repeating myself. During the change of format on this board, I was also updating to service pak 2(Windows XP) and some other updates. In the process I had changed my cookie settings to be more restrictive. The cookie setting caused me problems logging in and reading new posts. Several of the buttons were missing on the toolbar. Resetting the cookie slider to Medium corected it. I did not try to LOG OUT though, but I wonder if this might be your problem too.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I tried logging out this morning to see what would happen. Usually I just click on the "X". I didn't get all the same stuff, but I did get a message that all the cookies had been erased. I had to re-enter my user name and password; I have PS as an icon on the desktop and usually it remembers my user name.

I have Windows XP and IE.

Try clicking on the X and see what happens.

6. Young Pup

Streetsurfin,

I checked and I am set at Medium.

Mick,

I cannot find the "x" you are talking about. Is it at the top or bottom of the page. Thanks for the help you guys. I never had a problem with the previous setup on logging out. It signed me right out.

Mick do you mean the "x" to close out the web site. Then do you turn off the computer. Because I just tried that and went back to Plowsite. com and I was still logged in.

JP

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  7. Mick

from Maine

Very top right hand corner of the screen. Right next to the Maximize and Minimize buttons.

8. Young Pup

Mick,

I did that and entered Plowsite. com in the browser and when it came back up I was still logged in. So after you do this do are you turning off the computer? If so then I think that will log you out then. I am no pro at computers so I am learning on that end as well as learning how to plow properly.

Thanks,

JP

9. Mick

from Maine

Like I said, I have Plow Site as an icon on my "desktop". I click on the icon to open Plow Site and enter my password. Then when I'm done, I click on the X and it closes the site and logs me off. I have DSL so I don't shut the computer down except occasionally when I want to delete the cookies or it gets to running slow. Then it does a self diagnostic and usually fixes the problem.

I'm not sure why you would still be logged in after you've closed it. Try going under "File", then "Close" and see what happens.

One thought - your computer may be running slow because of too many "cookies". Have you deleted them lately or done a "defrag"? If it's running too slow, it didn't get a chance to completely log out before you came back onto PS, so it would show you still logged in. That can also happen if you try to perform too many operations before the computer has been able to complete prior operations, leading to the message you're getting.

10. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

Closing your browser will not log you out of the site, unless you have set PlowSite *not* to use cookies or run a program to automatically clear your cookies when you close your browser.

The recommended way to log out is to click on the "Log out" link in the top menu. You should not be logged in anymore after doing that, since your cookies should be properly cleared.

What do you exactly mean when you say that it still shows you as signed in after you log out? Are you talking about the status message in the top menu ("Welcome, username...") or do you simply mean that your username is still listed in the Online users section at the bottom of the home page? In the second case, you should not worry about that - the online user data is not updated in real-time, but your logged in/out status (what you see in the top menu) should be.

Regards,

Pierre-Luc

11. Young Pup

12. Young Pup

Thanks Mick,

I will give that stuff a shot as well. The computer seems to be running ok I believe I defragmented two weeks ago.
    JP