1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lockout problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by The Boss, Mar 19, 2004.

1. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 99 F250 with the Powerstroke. When I disengage the lockouts, they still stay locked in. Is there a way to fix this problem or should I buy new ones?:confused:
    Thanks for any help.:waving:

2. chris wickson

chris wickson Junior Member

I've had the same problems with the hubs. Here was what fixed it for me. Lock the hubs and drive forward in 4wd high for 10ft.+ Get out and put the hubs in auto. The get back in put in neutral and shift to 2wd. Then back up quickly about 10'+. The vacuum holding the hubs in should disengage and the front driveshaft should turn freely. You may have to do it more than once to find out a what point the hubs disengage. It works for me.

3. The Boss

Thanks, I''ll go try it. :waving:

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's right, you have to disengage them and then back up about 10' and they should be ok then

5. The Boss

I tried it and still won't disengage. Backed up almost a block. Plus they are real hard to turn.:( :confused:

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I would take all the allen screws out of them and look for a mech problem, an obstruction, dirt etc. I mean they are a pretty simple theory I think. Let us know what you find. Also, I would check them every so often, and make sure the allen screws are tight, last winter or winter before last counting this one, I lost one. I mean the screws worked loose, and the whole hub fell out, and you can't buy one, you have to buy a pair of them. The 4 wheel drive parts place told me that it's common?

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If your axles are torqued, you may need to back up in an "s" pattern to allow them to unbind before releasing. Try that too.

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

What exactly do you mean by axles being torqued?

9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

When you run on dry pavement or a surface that doesn't allow the tires to slip a little in a turn it can wind the axles tight against each other. I dont know if thats a very good explanation. Its why you feel the jerky motion when turning on dry surfaces.

10. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

It's commonly known as 4 Wheel wind up. I did it on my first 4X4 (an 80 F150) and stripped the R/F axle. More than 7 4X4's later I've learned alot of what and what not to do!

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if you do tear them apart (which you should) when you reinstall them dunk the drive gear in gear oil then install, do not use grease or you will be back on here complaining about your hubs not unlocking ;)

12. The Boss

Is there any particular type of gear oil I should use? I plan on trying to fix them today......hopefully. I also tried driving in reverse in an S pattern with no luck.