1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lockout hub question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by garjus, Jan 28, 2004.

1. garjus

garjus Junior Member

I have a 1987 chev silverado 4x4. I replaced the front automatic locking hubs with warn manual hubs when the originals gave out. My question is: will driving in 2 wheel drive with the hubs locked do any harm? any help is appreciated. I dont want to burn out the hubs by being lazy. Thanks

2. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Leaving the hubs locked won't hurt anything. All that does is lock your front wheels with the front axle & differential. In 2wd with the hubs locked, your front axle is turning freely with your front wheels. Shouldn't need to worry. Hope this helps ya. Good luck!:D

3. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

garjus,
    If you leave the hubs locked the only thing I feel it will hurt is the fuel mileage. You will notice it goes down if they are locked up since it now has to turn the front axels. Since it is winter and you may need 4X4 at any time I would not worry about the fuel mileage and leave them locked. Some times it is nice to just reach down and pull the 4X4 shifter and not have to get out of the truck. It is really up to you whether you like to get out and lock in the hubs or not. If you don’t really use 4X4 much it may be worth letting them unlocked. Just my opinion/experiences.
    Nacho

4. Henry

Henry Member

The feul mileage and that annoying jerk when turning.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

AGREED!:D :waving:

6. acornish

acornish Senior Member

wont hurt anything I do it all the time with my blazer--- Im too lazy to get out in the cold sometimes so i just leave them locked then all I have to do is put shifter i 4wd

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You won't get the jerk when turning because the t-case is not engaged. Therefore, the front diff is allowed to do its job and let one wheel spin faster than the other in turns.

8. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

Is that annoying jerk in the wheel a bad thing if you have the hubs locked and the transfer case in 2WD. Because I have it.:eek: Does this mean I may have a problem or is it normal on occasion in some trucks.
    Nacho

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Often times that annoying jerk is caused by bad u-joints at the end of the axle shafts. Most often these joints don't have grease zerks. They become dry & gritty and bind when turning. If you do replace them, buy premium u-joints with flush zerks. They will cost you a little more, but it is worth it in the long run. This will allow you to grease them and make them last longer.

10. badranman

badranman Senior Member

JMR
    I also beleive that but on Shadetree Mechanic or Trucks! I heard them say don't use u-joints with grease fittings because if grease can get out water can get in. They said go with the best sealed ones you can get.

11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

IF your t-case is in 2wd and your hubs are locked in 4wd adn you are still bouncing around, that tells me your t-case is not disengaging.

Try this. Leave the hubs locked in. Put the t-case in 2hi. Put trans in reverse and back up a few feet. Then, put trans in drive. Make a sharp turn. If you still jerk around there may have a bad actuator in your t-case. Do you have push button 4wd? If so, the part will cost about $250.00. It is the electronic shift actuator on the t-case. I am not 100% but it is the most likely culprit.

12. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

Plow Meister,
    No it is just the old style that has a floor shift. I would imagine it is the u-joint. I don't even know when they were changed last time. Maybe when the weather warms up, (if that ever happens) I will change them if they are bad. Thanks for all of the replys.
    Nacho

13. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Im surprized this hasent been mentioned but do you have any kind of locker or limited slip in the front axle.This could cause a bind with the hubs locked and t-case in 2 wheel.

14. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

I am not sure if the front has a locker/limited-slip in it. Just the regular chev axel whatever it may be. I just drive it and it goes. As long as it works, which it does I guess there is not a problem.
    Nacho

15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have limited slip diff. in the front. Jack front end, lock hubs and rotate one wheel. If both wheels turn in the same direction you have limited slip.

16. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

When it is cold out, and I lock my hubs, it takes about 10 miles of driving before the front wheels engage, do you think it is due to the thickness of the grease not allowing a spring to pop out or something like that or do I have more serious problems?
    Thanks

17. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

When you installed the hubs did you grease them? The hubs will not engage in the cold if you put grease in them. My experience is that you have to take them apart at least once a year and clean them. I use WD40. Also engage them once in a while in the off season. Heavy grease will not work. Just clean them and light oil them. Do this now and I think you will cure your problem.