1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Locking rear diff. does yours "knock"?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by z71Worker, Dec 7, 2004.

1. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

First snowfall yesterday.. just driving i noticed that when taking off and the rear was spinning that i would hear a knock/clunk coming from the rear.. only thing i could think of was that it was the locking rear??

is this common?

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is more of a clunk bang than a knock. The GM gov loc differentails can engage clutches with a "bang". Throw some ballast in the back and it will tame it down some. It is no cause for concern though really.

(fixed typos)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mine does the same :nod:

4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

thats why i have an ARB it's locked when i want it and open when i dont.

5. Tarkus

ARB's are not a bad compromise either. The best would be a LDS unit with a selectable lock as well like they use in one of the Jeep offroad rock crawler packages.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i thought about a electrac that goes from limitid slip to locked but went this route instead. and i can honestly say it isn't a comprimise. you get the best of both worlds open/locked.

7. Tarkus

Well like I said ARBs are not bad units and tuff too from what I have seen. Nice thing about electrotrac is LSD is worm gear based so it never really wears out either and is very predictable.

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yup they are nice but i felt arb was the best option becuase a open diff is even more predictable.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  9. Tarkus

On ice this can be very true indeed.

10. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

right and around here we have alot of dirt roads that is hardpack. which tends to be alot like ice.

11. Tarkus

You may not believe this or bless it but I have plowed for many years with open diffs and never really regreted it though I do also usually run a good bit of ballast too. I really like open diffs on ice roads that I find myself on durring winter a lot. I have a gov loc for a 14 bolt 10.5 GM rear axle sitting on shelve that I got for a good price and never bothered to install in one truck.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i know i didn't need the arb for plowing and that i could get by with a open diff. but i am also off road quit abit so that is the main reason i got it. but i also know it will help when we have some of our big storms 18"-36" which we get several a year heck usually we should have more than a foot on ground now and i have an inch and a half.

13. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

you two need to get a room and leave my thread alone!!!

just kidding.. ok well it seems that everything is ok with the new truck if you guys are experiencing the same.. thanks for the fast replies guy's :drinkup:

14. Tarkus

ARB's are great for offroad stuff. Also we do not even have a trace here of snow (or had it either yet to speak of)

To z71worker, no problem, it is just a klunky diff at times and moreso with the beefier axles too that have bigger clutchs in them too