1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

locking rear axle??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameron2171, Jan 24, 2010.

1. cameron2171

cameron2171 Senior Member

I have a 1997 Chevy Cheyenne 2500 and i was wondering how u would know if it has a locking rear axle because in the manual it says some have it and some dont

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Look for the sticker on the glove box door with the RPO codes on it. If the code "G80" is listed on the stcker, you've got a locker.

3. cameron2171

thank u dude it has been driving me crazy ill go look

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

To see if it still works, put on tire on the asphalt, one in the gravel. Flatten it:D

5. cameron2171

hmm are u sure it is g80 i dont think i have that one

6. cubicinches

That's the code... If it's not on the sticker, that can only mean one thing... :(

Of course, someone could have installed an aftermarket one. Try what 2COR said. That oughta tell you something. :D

7. cameron2171

wow that ruins my day, well thanks any way, is the limited slip even that good?

8. cubicinches

I just added another truck to my fleet a month ago... 2004 2500HD. Bought it online out of Florida. Never thought to inquire as to whether it had the locker in it. When it got here, I was kinda bummed too when I realized it didn't have one. Anyway, we've been plowing the hell out of it, and it's working out just fine. I may install an aftermarket locker before next season, there are times when they can save your a$$. :nod:

9. cameron2171

is it expensive to do that?

10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I would personally never have a truck without one. You never know what your missing untill you run a truck with one.

11. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

all my 03 and newer hd chevys have the locking diff. boy i did not realize what i was missing.

12. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

WOW I didn't know any of HD's came with out the locker, I guess thats one more then to look at when I buy my next truck

13. cameron2171

how much would it cost to make mine locking?

14. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It can cost up to $1000 to get one installed by the time you pay for parts and labor. That would include new bearings. Check www.ringpinion.com for price of parts only. It's not the sort of job a hobbyist mechanic should tackle as the setup of the ring and pinion is very critical to proper operation. A cheaper/simpler option is the ez-locker (AKA Lock-Right) which only replaces the spider gears rather than the whole carrier. Anybody that can change their own oil can install one of those, but they aren't nearly as durable.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  15. cameron2171

yea that realy does suck that mine doesnt have it enless its to old and it has a diferent codes besides g80 for it cus its a 1997 but i dout it, thanks you guys

16. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The "G80" code has been used since the 70's for all GM locking rear differentials in both cars and trucks. Sorry...

17. cubicinches

The parts can be pricey to install one, but I've set up lots or diffs in the past so I can do the work myself. Randy's ring and pinion is a great source for the parts.

G80 was the code in 1997. As far as I know, that's been the RPO code for a locking diff for as long as GM has been using that 14 bolt 10.5" ring gear axle.

18. cubicinches

Oh yeah... it's an option. I've been ordering new trucks for years, and I always make sure to check that option. It's less than $300 if I remember correctly.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My 97 has the G80, and it still works. I am very gentle with it though. Doubtful he has the 10.5 full floater. More likely the 9.5 semi floater.

20. cubicinches

That's true... could be either.