1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Locking Hubs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTChevy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

I'm removing a set of spicer hubs. My question is do I need to lift the truck ( "77" 3/4 ) when I install these superwinch hubs. Also should I put lube on the hubs. Any and all Info would be great, I have no ideal how this will go. Should the truck be in or out of gear, etc. etc. Thanks. ( GREAT SITE )

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You can do it on the ground. Truck in park. Should take maybe an hour total to change them. The hubs will have some grease on them. Read the directions. They may have a gasket, if not, use some Permatex to seal the outer half to the hub.

To remove the old hub, remove the allen screws. Pull off the hub. Then you will need snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding the other half to the axle shaft. Remove the snap ring, and pull off the other half of the hub.

Slide on the inner half of the Superwinch hub, and install the snap ring. Apply bearing grease, NOT TOO MUCH! Just a light coating. Install the gasket, (or a thin bead of Permatex) and install the allen screws.

It is that simple.

Of course, the above instructions are for "internal mount" locking hubs.

External mount hubs are a little different.

If yours looks like this, it is internal mount.

[​IMG]

~Chuck

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

A little tip:

I seal the little allen screws with permatex after the job is complete, fill the hole they go in with sealer. This keeps water and salt brine out so they don't corrode and become nearly impossible to remove. Not only do the screw shafts adhere to the hub, but the allen heads corrode as well often letting the wrench slip within. This helps to prevent that.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

EXCELLENT point Pelican. :drinkup:

~Chuck

5. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

GOOD INFORMATION. Thanks Chuck S. and Pelican. The job was a walk in the park. Worked out great.