1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

locking hubs & lowering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79chvy4wdshortbed, Feb 20, 2003.

1. 79chvy4wdshortbed

79chvy4wdshortbed Junior Member

Front hubs not unlocking,anyone have any info on what i need to do and what kind of regular maintenance do i need to do with the hubs. The front drive shaft is turning with hubs unlocked and transfer case in 2wd. Also have another question, I bought this truck a couple years ago off a guy that regularly used if for surf fishing. It has a 4" suspension lift and 33" non aggressive tires. My question is what do i need to get so that i can lower it back to stock height. I know that i need to take the rear blocks out, shocks, tires and rims, not sure about front end, there are no blocks and what about the part that connects the steering gear box to steering components,not sure if that part is changed when someone installs a lift kit. Only thing i havent tried where hubs are concerned, is backing up 10 or more feet with everything lined back up for 2wd operation. Thanks for any info.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The front hubs may be sticking.They are pretty easy to pull apart and clean and grease.This would cause the driveshaft to turn in 2WD.

To lower the truck,you will need to remove or replace everything they changed to do the lift.Blocks in the rear,front springs ?,steering block or pitman arm,install shorter shocks,and do an alignment.

3. 79chvy4wdshortbed

Thanks for the reply. Ill give the hub removall a shot. the only the thing i see is six or eight allen bolts on the face of the hubs. Do all my own autmotive repairs ,just hav'nt done this yet.The crank case is a NP205 an from what ive found on the internet ,the front shaft isnt suppose to turn in 2wd. Its been in the mud a few times and like you said probably needs the hubs cleaned. Pretty straight forward, just pull the allen bolts an the hub comes out? Jack the truck up to weight off tires?

4. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Yeah, the hubs should come out as easy as removign those allen screws...

The 4" lift removal would require...removing the blocks as stated and replacing the front leaf springs with some stock springs and the steering arm on the driver's side needs to be replaced with a stock one...

I am in the process of gathering stuff for a 4" lift.....I have an extra stock steering arm if you need it...P.M. me and I can ship it to you if you pay shipping....
    :waving:

5. 79chvy4wdshortbed

I took hub covers off, looked like one hub was in the unlocked position with covers off. Played around with it an it popped out into the locked position. Jacked front up to verify that both wheels turn when spinning one by hand, and they did with hubs locked in, Put transfer case in 4wd and trans in 1st gear, spun wheels and the front drive shaft acted like it was tryin to turn and this was with rear wheels on the ground and front hubs locked in. verified hubs were unlocked, let truck down, in 2wd backed up 10ft , pulled forward and the front drive shaft was turning. I was on chucks chevy page and the pictures he has of the rear of a np205 transfer case has the speedometer cable on the right of the drive shaft if your standing behind the truck and the transfer case shifter is labeled 4wd lo-N-2wd-4wd hi. From what his web site says,the front drive shaft isnt suppose to turn in 2wd with an np205 transcase, if i read it right. I got started on this because i was feeling drag in the front end and didnt seem to be coasting very far, just happened to notice the front drive shaft turning while in 2wd. The truck is a 79 short bed 1/2 ton, by the vin# it had a straight 6, now has a 350(bought it that way), will need another set of headers soon,will i be able to find them? i ask because they look homemade.85w/350,looks like ill have some 4" lift things also when i get the lowering stuff together and the weather breaks, all in good condition.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well you do have a NP205 based on the shift pattern you described,and it shouldn't turn the front shaft in 2WD.

The locked position for the hubs is when the inner ring is all the way in,not out.You shouldn't really have to back up at all to get the manual hubs to unlock.

It is possible you may have a damaged inner hub assy,and it's dragging or binding,and turning the shaft.A loose wheel bearing,bent stub shaft,or bad inner stub shaft bearing\seal will cause excess wear on the inner hub,and damage the hub.

You should be able to jack up each wheel,and with the outer hubs off,turn the wheel and watch the end of the axle shaft.If it's still turning,then something is binding up inside the inner hub.

It's also not uncommon to see the front shaft turning a little bit in 2WD,it just won't transfer any power.With the truck on the ground,and in 2WD,try to turn the front driveshaft from the transfer case.If it turns,your fine.If it doesn't then you may have a misadjusted transfer case linkage,or something bad in the transfer case.

It is also possible you have a 203 case,which would act exactly as you describe.Maybe someone dropped in the 350,trans,and 203 case when they did the swap,and used the 205 lever or knob ? I would double check,as I have seen a lot of 203's with pass side speedo cable's.If it has a drain plug,or the small three bolt cover in the middle,it is a 205.You can also check by shifting the case through the ranges,at the shift lever.A 205 has 5 positions,a 205 has only 4.

7. 79chvy4wdshortbed

Wyldman, Did what you suggested and guess what, problem solved. Making sure hubs were free, and verfying that the case was a 205 by the three bolt access cover(and it is), had her shift through the ranges while i tried to rotate the front drive shaft. Turns out the shifter can be moved about three inch's or more toward the seat after the case is already in 4wd-hi, and the shifter was not getting returned all the way to the 2wd position. Is it common to have all that extra travel after the shifter is in what should be the furthest point of travel? Could this be because the truck may have had a 203 case originally and the slot in the floor allows for more travel?Not sure if there is actually a slot or not, didnt really check that. Thanks for the help.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check the linkages etc for any slop or play.Also check the bolts in the handle.I've seen a lot that use bolts that are too small and sloppy in the holes,so the lever moves back and forth without moving the linkage,which adds a lot of movement to the lever.