1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Locking hubs for an International truck?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Catskill Plowin, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I'm looking at a 90's 4900 International 4X4 truck. I'm wondering if any one make hubs for this truck? I don't know anything about the front end or transfer case yet, I'll be going next week to look at it.I was looking for insight before hand. Thanks Brian.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would call IH.

I didn't know IH made 4x4 trucks in that class. Ford trucks of that class are conversions (Ford doesn't make them factory in 4x4). It depends on what axle they use in the front I suppose.
  3. Yea I did, he wasn't that help full. I know there is at least one guy here who owns an 4X4 International. I was hoping to get some knowlege before I went to look at the truck. I thought Ford use to make the F600 at the factory,with the bigger trucks farmed out. Thanks Brian
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I don't recall any Ford built bigger than 550 in 4wd (I may be wrong)- they don't have the axles needed. Marmon-Herrington and Kelsey-Hayes were the 2 big conversion companies.

What did you tell the IH dealer?
    I would say you are looking at a 4x4 model 4900 and need some information on parts for rebuilding the front axle......ask about bearings, seals, and hubs.

Sometimes you need to get them to look it up when they don't know- and asking them to do it isn't always convincing enough unless you're a prospective parts buyer. Plus parts frequently are the only guys with access to the parts system to see if there was a 4x4 model available.
  5. I'm sorry, I'm talking about years ago [seems like yesterday, yea I'm getting old!] when Ford use to make an F600. I'm looking at a 1972 F350 duel rear wheel with a Napco 4X4 conversion. Ford didn't make a F350 4X4 back then and they didn't make a 4X4 duel rear wheel truck until 1986.Thanks Brian