1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

locking hub

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Nov 26, 2004.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

question for the ford guy's my right hub is really hard to turn just wondering if anyone else has that problem also If I spray WD40 on it will it hurt it?. I mean I had to use a wrench to turn it today. :confused:

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Take it off and put some grease in both of them.

3. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

not a ford guy but

I have rehabed my share of warn hubs. wd will not hurt it but it won't help in the long run. take it off and flushit with carb cleaner or solvent. the mistake I made once is to put to much grease in. when the hub is disengaged it is pulled back by the spring. to much grease can slow or stop a disengage. I use synthetic grease as it is less effected by heat and cold if you do it right that will be the last time unless dunk it in salt water or mud and water. if the hole thing blows up upon removal remember you have the other hub to lock at. kind of like doing rear brakes one at a time.

4. mole

mole Senior Member

not to good with that stuff I'll take it in and have the dealer do it. better safe than sorry. Thanks.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

For what a dealer would charge you you could buy a set of Warn aftermarket hubs at a car parts store and put them on and have money left over too.

6. mole

mole Senior Member

all fixed Just had some gunk stuck in there turning fine now. thanks for the input