1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Locking Hub Replacement HELP

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Wiseguyinc, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

Arrrrrg. I am trying to replace my locking hubs on my 99 f250. I was able to get one replaced no problem.

The other one however is totally stuck in. I have tried beating it with a rubber mallet, a regular hammer and have completely destroyed it and it still will not budge.:realmad:

Any tips on how to get it out? Can I drill it out? Any help would be gret.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How far have you gotten?

3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

If you have already damaged it then consider it scrap. The aftermarket ones are better anyways. I will tell you about one I had once, but since I can not see yours you will have to make you own judgement. The worst one I had broke when using a puller in the end I had to drill out the center with a bunch of holes and start pulling the hub splines out in pieces. Do whatever you need to as long as you do not damage the hub itself.

4. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

Well I got the stupid thing out. I busted it back to the hub and then took the guts out from the outside. Then I drilled carefully half a dozen holes through the thick teeth part of the housing. That allowed me to pry on it and break it into pieces. It took all day to do one stupid locking hub.

I just bought this truck and I don't think they had been taken out and greased for a good 90k miles! This is a huge motivation to give regular attention to your hubs.Thumbs Up

5. Malibu496

Malibu496 Junior Member

The way I remove them is pry them out with 2 screw drivers or angled pry bars. it works really well even if the are really stuck.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tell us about Malibu 496...

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

:drinkup:.....................waiting for the responce!!!!!
    if only he would have thought of 2 pry bays,,,,,duh you could have got it out in half a day

8. Malibu496

Malibu496 Junior Member

Use pry bars on opposite side of the hub at the same time put the tip in the corner where the snap ring is and push in against the hub and pry out against the edge of the wheel bearing. If they are really stuck you will have to push hard to have the pry bars bite the hub but I have always gotten them out.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Man. I wish I would have used that advise when u was at the ford dealer that would have dated me a ton of time. Bahaha

10. Malibu496

Malibu496 Junior Member

I am a tech at a ford dealer and was taught this trick by one of the other guys, before this I used aa big channel lock.

11. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

Yeah I'm sure that has worked in some cases. The driver side just needed some good hits with a rubber mallet to get loose. It took me 10 minutes to swap out.
    The other one......:mad: was swollen from corrosion and every spline was dry.
    There was no wiggle or play at all. I even rigged up a tow strap around it, connected to a jack and beat on it under pressure. It never moved a bit. There was no other way than to drill and break it out.

On the plus side my new mile markers look great! And now that my axles are not always locked my truck drives so much better.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I do not know if these have them. Some older Warns have wire bale retainer rings that people do not know are there. They are in a channel that is filled with grease and you will not see them. Dig around with a small straight blade screw driver inside of the bore of the hub. Find the channel then look for the ends of the bale. Some manuals fail to mention the retainer bales. Had a few friends call and ask how do you get these hubs off?

13. EXR

EXR Senior Member

My tech buddy just did the hubs on my 05. He had some trouble too but did get them. I too didn't realize you need to maintain them... do now!

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

What are you doing to lube them up, I take them off and spray them with oil, what else?

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The older Warn's you clean the grease out. ( like cleaning wheel bearings ) Get all the solvent out and lightly grease the moving parts. Antiseeze on the retainer screws.

16. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

There is a video on youtube of a guy taking care of his factory hubs. He takes them apart,cleans them up, then greases them pretty heavy with a wheel bearing type grease.

The mile markers I have say to wipe the old grease off and then lightly regrease them.Too much grease on these could cause damage I guess. I will take mine apart after the snow season and see how things look.