1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

locked up V-Box

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ToolCatCruzer, Nov 16, 2012.

1. ToolCatCruzer

ToolCatCruzer Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have an 8' stainless swenson spreader and the lower auger chain is locked up. Is there any tricks to getting it unstuck? I've spent a day turning it by hand with a pipe wrench and lubing it, it sat over night and the motor still cant spin it. any body got any secrets to getting it lose? its our second year dealing with it,and unfortunately it had to be stored outside all off season. anyone got any ideas, or is this going to be an expensive lesson learned?

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Go to a local farm store and by some number 40 chain and a connecter link and replace it I replace mine every year the chain is cheap if its the spinner chain

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yesiree,I do.Get yourself a couple gallons of kerosene or if you can find it,some #2 diesel with 500PPB[high sulfur content--more lubricity],or red home heating fuel.Put it in a pump sprayer and have at it.Let it SOAK!!! After she's freed and running,spray it down good with FLUID FILM,everytime after use,wash it out with water and again FLUID FILM. Good luck.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same spreader. I oil it before i put it away and its still a pain every year, You are doing about all you can let it soak and keep the oil to it. You should be able to get it going. Check the spinner bearings and make sure they are free. They seem to get frozen also.

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Here is what you do. You do not know where its hanging up at, so cut both chains off with a grinder wheel. You can replace them for extremely cheap. I replace mine every year anyway. Now rotate the spinner and see if it spins freely. If so, great. If not, check and lube bearings. Now go to output shaft on gearbox. Do the same thing. Then clutch assembly shaft. Not to hard, just a dirtly rusty pain. Its most likely the chains, but could be any number of bearings.