1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

locked rear or not?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by maineplower, Oct 22, 2005.

1. maineplower

maineplower Junior Member
    from maine

i am looking at a 2006 gmc 2500hd with snowplow prep and trailer package. It does not however have the locking rear end. I will be plowing with this truck, am i crazy to get it without the locking rear?

2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Crazy, no. Would I try and get the locker? Yes.
    Is it not available with the locker, or is it something that they might include but not mention? Or have you fallen in love with a particular truck on the lot?

3. maineplower

maineplower Junior Member
    from maine

the truck is what i want, but just noticed no locking rear end on the options list it has everything else i want. Just wondering if it really matters for plowing. I've had both in plow trucks havent really noticed a big diffrence either way, just wanted to here what you guys thought.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

A buddy of mine just had it insatlled on his 04 2500hd for around $800. I thought they all had them but guess not. Where in Maine are you???

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

My truck came with an open differentail. So I bought an ARB air locker for it. Most times i plowed without turing it on. Honestly I think you will do just fine. But I also get off road so that is why I did what I did. If you can afford to put something in if not I wouldn't worry.

6. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i gut got my 2006 2500 to day and it has the locking rear end.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If you've used both and didnt notice a difference, I wouldnt worry about it. I had two nearly identical 3/4 ton Chevys, one had 3:73 open and the other had 4:10 w/ Detroit Locker. The 4:10 truck was an absolute dream to plow with, hardly ever had to use 4wd. A guy told me lockers are bad for plowing because if both rear wheels spin on a side hill it will kick out downhill. Havent found a sidehill to plow yet, I don't think they build driveways like that. With the locker I never had to spin the tires, the open diffs I spun quite a bit. I know a lot of it was the 4:10 gears, but I think the Detroit played a big part.

8. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

My old truck had open differentials and I didn't mind. I suppose there were a couple of times when I was pushing a whole lot of snow that a locker might have helped, but I never got stuck.
    In my opinion the locker is kind of like snow tires: you probably should have them, but most people do just fine without.

I like the idea of the ARBs, but they are expensive. The advantages are: open until you need it, reduces tire wear and tendency of rear of truck to slide in low traction situations. Disadvantages: cost, no limited slip.
    Eaton has a unit out that is limited slip and can lock electrically. Cost? Don't know.
    The less expensive lockers (Detroit, etc) I don't know much about. I hear they work well at locking, but can be noisy (probably doesn't matter in a plow truck) and lock suddenly, which may cause a loss of traction. (Actually the G80 can do that too, if you are playing around.)

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I thought about going with the eaton electrac wich is limitid slip to full lock. But went with the arb. It is expensive. But it is nice to have the open rear for all reasons mentioned. But when needed you have full locking. So really no need for limited slip.

10. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Imho Chrysler is on the right track with the lockers in the D44 in the Rubicon and the AAM's in the Power wagon - light limited slip when off and full locker when locked... Best of both worlds..

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Without a locker or posi, its all about tire condition and ballast.

My one-ton dually had an open diff. for years. Carried around a ton of gravel where ever I went to put enough bite into it. (duallys are worse for this due to less lbs. per square inch).

Last year I installed a locker (Powertrax, which for the record I absolutely HATE for dry weather driving). I didn't run any ballast unless conditions were particularly bad. Saved a fortune on fuel not slugging the gravel.

I plan on going one more winter with the locker, then finding something else be it a factory style posi, ARB, etc.

Can't argue with the grip of a locker though...

12. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Derek you're 200 percent correct about the powertrax (or Detroit ez-locker or lockright). They are horrible for anything street driven. Installing one of these makes you hate driving your truck. I'll NEVER use one again nor will 99 percent of the people I know that used them..

13. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Derek you're 200 percent correct about the powertrax (or Detroit ez-locker or lockright). They are horrible for anything street driven. Installing one of these makes you hate driving your truck. I'll NEVER use one again nor will 99 percent of the people I know that used them..
    Dupe post courtesy of lousy blackberry..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Clank clank clank clank clank bang! Snap snap bounce bounce bounce ok, we've made it around the first corner.... Clank! Upshift.... Clank! Upshift to third...

Ahhhh the song of the wild Powertrax...:jester:

Gotta love the 1/8 turn of driveshaft slop it creates....:nono:

Never again!

15. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

How funny. I was just going to start about this myself.
    My 2005 HD doesnt have a locker either.
    I got stuck (in 2wd) on wet grass last night while pulling an extremely light (500#) trailer. Couldnt believe it. I was on pretty much flat ground also. It was a wet-snow mix of grass. i had to use 4wd to move. I find it kind of funny that the plow prep package doesnt come standard w/ the G80 myself.

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the G80 option an Eaton locker, not a detroit???

17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

G 80 in the new american axels are a eaton automatic locker yes. take a look at eatons website.....gives a description

do you need it no but I would try like heck to get it.

18. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Ratlover, did you have one in your truck when you were dragging it?
    Did you have any problems with it?
    Of course on the track you might not have had much of an issue with one tire starting to spin while the other sits there, and then the locker engaging.
    I have done that a couple of times with mine and I don't know if I should worry or not. I've had one tire on dry pavement and the other in the snow on the shoulder and punched it. It does engage suddenly, and I may have heard some kind of noise from it, but I don't remember that too well.
    Just trying to reassure myself.:drinkup:

19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I had one and no I never had any issues.

I was very mindfull not to nail it when going around a corner or do dougnuts ect becasue that will take a toll on em.

20. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

My truck has the locker.... Sometimes it's annoying. Esp when you accelerate from a stop and make a sharp turn.