1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Locked in gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Winter Land Man, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Hey everyone I need some help before I tear the truck apart!

My 86 GMC is stuck in gear (I think it's locked in first gear 4wd low, or possible 2nd or 3rd) it's a 3 speed transmission. Before I tear the thing apart, anyone know another way I could get it unlocked?

I'm getting tired of this truck, it's in excellent cosmetic shape except it was used as a plowing truck before I bought it (for roads, and a parking lot)... gas tanks replaced, axle, hydraulic clutch, and many other things have been replaced on it.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the shifter move at all when you try to pull it out of gear? Or does it feel like it's disconnected from the tranny,like it just flop's around and doesn't seem to do anything?

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

if the vacum line to the trans. isn't connected the trans will not shift. Check that before you do ANYTHING. unless you have a full manual valve body

4. Winter Land Man

It's in gear, but it's like it's in Neutral... and just flops around.

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

its gotta come out.....did you check the linkage ??

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, since it just flop's around it may have just broke the "finger" off the end of the shifter handle.It's not uncommon for the SM465 tranny's (which is what should be in your truck) to do that, especially one used for a plow truck. I'd pull the shifter up out of the tranny and check it out first.If you get lucky and that's all that happened then you just gotta cross your finger's and hope you can get the broken piece up out of the shifter tower too.

7. Winter Land Man

Thank-you for the help. I'm gonna do that tomorrow then.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know what you find out.

9. Winter Land Man

All fixed.. the forks were fine. The thing had very little transmission fluiid and it looks like someone (previous owner) had messed with it judging by the appearence of the gasket, and it appears they didn't do a good job.

Had to cut the metal around the shifters to get into it... and what a pain in the ass to re-allighn everything!

Oh well.... It's all better which makes me happy.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it all fixed up! :)