1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Locked Gate Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

So I have won a new contract (not signed yet) with a company that I worked at for a short time with a temp service not to long ago, would had been hired on full time but I make more money working for myself, but that is beside the point.

The property consists of the parking area and a larger area for more parking and storage of there equipment, parts and random junk that is behind a locked gate.

The gate is open during the day, but there parking lot is always full before 730 when the gate is opened. I have to be there before the lot is full, otherwise what is the point of me clearing it? My choice would to have a key to the gate so I can get there really early to clear the lots before anyone is there, then I can go finish my route. If not I would have to make 2 trips (it is close to home, but I have 2 properties on the other side of town) one early, the next after the gate is open.

My question is it wrong to ask for a key to the gate? Or ask to put my own lock on there chain and lock so I can get in to clear the back lot?
    I do not care so much bout asking the question, all they can say is no. I am just worried that I may be out of line by asking.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have one that is similar. Disease control beyond the gate. I simply asked for a key, and they agreed. Count on peolpes laziness, it's like getting someone to move their car. They have to stop what their doing, put on their coat,find the key etc. Easier to just unlock it yourself. Plus I hate having to make 2 trips.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have a few that just give me keys to get in. They will be more then happy to provide you with their own key since they need to be able to get in there also when you are not around.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

If they want the Lot Serviced Properly.....You will need a Key.........:salute:
  5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Agreed, get a key. If they say no, then tell them the delema, and tell them you need it to do you're Job!
  6. FaccLandscaping

FaccLandscaping Junior Member

Definitely get a key, people are not responsible enough to rely on. For my lawn customers I get a key or I don't cut the lawn, I've made that mistake before and all you do is waste time and money just because they forgot. There's too much liability when it comes to snow removal so I don't take any chances.
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Sounds like its a deal then, I tell them that I need a key to the gate so I can do my job. I forgot that they have CCTV on the building, so its not like they could not see what I am doing in there...

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Used to do a place and had a slide card for it. Another place wouldn't do it and it cost extra every time I came back.
  9. Snow Bandit

Snow Bandit Junior Member

I have a couple of gated areas. I've never had any trouble getting keys for gates.
  10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

all my supervisor truck have a combo of keys, key card , gate openers and the occasions bolt cutters... it is just part of the business for doing the proper job
  11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I do a restricted area (airport) and have my own code for plowing to keep the place open.

Get a key
  12. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

It's not wrong at all. I they want their lot plowed in a timely fashion, You need a key. If they decline you a key i wouldnt take it. We have 3 different lots for about 4yrs that require a swip card to get in. These places have 3 different shifts, I couldn't imagine trying to schedule around that. You need to be able to plow with the storm.
  13. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on the lock setup, another option is to use a second lock, and link it with their lock. That way there is a bit more control over who is coming and going with what keys etc.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I had one site last year refuse to give us a key royal pain in the butt. Worst part is there wasn't hardly anything behind the gate & it was only a cattle style gate not chain link. This was the first time in 15+ years someone refused to give a key. We have had keys for areas with literly millions in inventory, security, etc behind. Ussally it is offered or expected that you need it.
  15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

if they want the lot plowed, you're getting a key. its that simple. tell them you have no control over the weather, and therefore have no control over when exactly you'll be there plowing, which may or may not be when someone is there to let you in.
  16. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Are you trust worthy? How do they know? Tell them the need to have someone meet you at the gate to let you in.
  17. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Simple. Once the contract is signed, you ask when you can meet with them to get a key/access code.
  18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

yes that's how I do it on some properties. usually if they don't give me a key, this is how utility companies do it also, they don't have to carry as many keys for the meter readers.
  19. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I have though about doing the 2nd lock, lock it to theres and the chain, but there are so many of there keys out with thre on the road techs that I am sure they have no idea how many keys are out there. If I put the lock of my own on there, I would be afraid that one of the random people that has a key would not lock there loc to mine.

as for how they know me, I worked there for 3 months back a while ago with a temp company. I was offered full time, but I refused due to there policy of no beards if full time and they did not pay me enuff to stay anyway as I make more money as a contractor, but used them to fill in some down time.

They had one of there office people plow it with a ATV, but that person is gone and the shop forman asked me about plowing when I worked there as he seen the info on the side of my truck when I worked there.

I will be mailing the contract in the next few days and I will add a note about the key, or adding my own lock.