1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

locked differential question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by steve001hsd, Dec 27, 2008.

1. steve001hsd

steve001hsd Junior Member
    from arizona

I am using a 77 powerwagon with a myers setup. The truck is next to a tank in traction but I am still having probs in snow over 18 inches since the local road maint. dept. likes to plow in driveways and leave me an ice shelf to drop off. I know from my offroad exploits that a welded diff or a spool in the rear will help greatly to keep traction but how will it effect my load hauling abilities as I cut wood and clean up properties in the summer months. I was thinking of a trutrack or similar limited slip but I prefer to weld if I can. Please post any oppinions or experinces you have.

2. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

If you are using this truck on dry paved roads i do not reccomend welding it .You need a diff that will open up when taking corners.Either buy a air locker,e-locker or a mechanical locker that releases when it needs to.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ditto also a spool can cause the truck to go into a sudden spin.

4. steve001hsd

from arizona

OK I figured there would be problems. Can anyone recomend where to get a selectable locker on the cheap? everywhere I look they are around 800 and up. I can install it I have the tools and know how.

5. steve001hsd

from arizona

Also are there any ideas on better methods for me to attack deep snow, above 18 in. Mostly short driveways that have been plowed in and the berm is all ice. Please direct me to the correct area if this is not the correct place to ask.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

well you could try summit racing and look for e-z lockers powertrax lock-rite lockers both unlock while cornering. If the berm is all ice I think you might be getting there kinda late, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

A spool wouldn't affect the "load hauling" abilities as you're not changing gear ratios or spring rates. The one thing I would most definitely suggest doing if you drive on the street is making a "Y" air chuck setup where you have one inlet and two air chucks so you can make sure both tires on an axle are identical in air pressure.

Here's an example of a four-tire system
    [​IMG]

My truck with a spool stays off-road only so I don't worry as much about tire pressures as an on-street rig.

8. steve001hsd

from arizona

As far as getting there late I go on call only not contract. this is a resort area and the people just show up when they do and dont want to pay for plowing unless they are comming to the mountain. I would prefer to plow as soon as the snow falls but I only plow when called or I dont get paid. And the people here dont think ahead they drive in and get stuck then want me to pull them out and plow there drive lol.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Makes sense sorry didn't know it was like that. I hope you charge them good for all that.

10. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Dustball - That setup is way cool. I think I might put one together myself.

11. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

You can also look up Randy's Ring and Pinion online i have a shop and we deal with them .

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You've gotta change the way you do business. You're beating the crap out of your truck to save some tightwad a few bucks. Tell them you need to plow as YOU see fit to avoid these problems. Give them a little better price per storm, and then they can come and not worry about staving up their imported car in the frozen cruchy snow.

I had a few people complain about me plowing on light storms last year. So I skipped them on the next lite on. I go in to plow a heavy storm and my truck is sliding all around on the ice ruts they made with their cars. Nearly got stuck. This year I told them I have to do business in a way that is safe for their property AND my equipment. That's the nice way of saying my way or the highway........

13. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

look into a detroit locker. one of the strongest units on the market. reasonably priced.
    try drive train specialits or randys ring and pinion.

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

One thing you have to remember about a locker or limited slip rear end is they will skate sideways on you. When forward progress stops on a slick surface if you don't let off on the gas quick enough. Plowing 18 inch snow you might try having the plow lifted and take layers off in multiple passes. It going to take longer but you don't beat the equipment up as much.