1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lock outs on F-250's

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by The Green Team, Apr 26, 2005.

1. The Green Team

The Green Team Junior Member

Im looking into buying a brand new 04 F 250 and the 4x4 for a has the manual lockouts on teh front wheels, im going to be doing alot of plowing.

Do you think it would be a PITA to have to get out and switch them?

I also heard its less wear and tear for manual lockouts then the "on the fly"

TGT

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I knwo your getting a new truck and not used but on our trucks we've owned cough ford cough the automatic locking hubs are known for going bad and not handling power as well and are not as durable. If I were you I would stick with the manual locking hubs, I'd rather get out everytime then worry abotu them not working when you really need them. Also you can leave them locked for liek the strom, you don't have to unlock them between traveling to different plow spots, So for each plow session you'd only hafta lock them and unlock once. Once the inside selectors in 2wd you can leave those locked if you like but they unlock so that you get better gas mileage and less wear on the other stuff just for daily driving.

3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I knwo your getting a new truck and not used but on our trucks we've owned cough ford cough the automatic locking hubs are known for going bad and not handling power as well and are not as durable. If I were you I would stick with the manual locking hubs, I'd rather get out everytime then worry abotu them not working when you really need them. Also you can leave them locked for liek the strom, you don't have to unlock them between traveling to different plow spots, So for each plow session you'd only hafta lock them and unlock once. Once the inside selectors in 2wd you can leave those locked if you like but they unlock so that you get better gas mileage and less wear on the other stuff just for daily driving.

4. The Green Team

The Green Team Junior Member

so your saying i can lock the lock outs for plowing then in between jobs, i can leave them locked out and switch to 2wd and still drive down teh road?

TGT

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Correct. The only thing that will suffer is your gas milage, but when your pushing, I don't think thats a major concern. I have read of several complaints about the factory hubs. I have read where one side or the othe will seize up. Alot of people scrap them and replace them with Warn lockouts.

William

6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Yep. My truck has manual lock outs and its not that bad. However I want to say to completely unlock your wheel you want to back up about 1 tire rotation, or is it forward. Either way I'm sure the wheel has to move after you have locked or unlocked it one way or the other to engage or disengage. The manual says which way.

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

Yes.

I have no problem with manual locking hubs. Usually they're always locked in the winter.

8. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Mine went bad too, they would not UNLOCK. After I turned them to FREE, the front end still felt like it was locked in when I was turning. I had a buddy drive the truck forward a little while I watched the front axles and sure enough one axle was turning forward and the other was turning back wards. It took channel locks to unlock it then it wouldn't lock in all the way and started grinding and popping so I replaced them with a set of WARN manual hubs. The hubs are EXTREMELY easy to change out, it might take 15 minutes. You pop your hub cap off, remove the snap ring that retains the factory lockout and pull the lockout out. Next you install the inner half of the new lockout, install a snap ring, then screw the outer half of the lockout to the inner half and reinstall your hub cap.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Manual locking hubs are the only way to go!
    They are locked or not period!
    It's not a big thing to unlock them when it's warm and sunny!
    Mine or Dad's have never failed to switch in or out.
    I have drove and maintained Fords for the last 25 years and found this to be true.

10. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Wow yup see all the responses, manual hubs all the way, were replacing my dads auto locking hubs this weekend, as they are not unlocking.