1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lock out hubs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ponyexpress976, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976 Junior Member

This was my first storm with a new to me 99 f350. Performed great but getting in and out for the hubs was a pita. I do most of my plowing in 2wd so i have an option if I get stuck in anything. my question is can I leave the hubs in the locked position without screwing anything up even though the transfer case is in 2wd mode?
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

leave them locked . :salute:

wont hurt a thing to run tcase 2wd or 4wd with them locked.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

only thing it will hurt is gas mileage
  4. ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976 Junior Member

silly me I went and read the manual and it said not to leave them locked...in and out of the truck for slopes, heavy pushes etc all night long.
  5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

You're fine leaving the hubs locked but make sure you keep up on regular maintenance by lubing the axle shaft and front drive shaft u-joints and checking the front diff oil.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I leave mine locked all the time when plowing and switch between 2wd and 4wd all night, I then unlock them for the drive back to the shop,
  7. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

lock mine at the start of winter till spring
  8. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Me too. I dont recall the last time they were not engaged,,,,,,,,,
  9. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Ditto here, mine are locked all winter, 97 F-350....
  10. Ragzz

Ragzz Junior Member

My 75 F250 i have not unlocked in 22 years not one problem just keep regular matinence. 2002 F250 I will unlock in spring. highway driving.