1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lock on plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by AESC, Jan 5, 2008.

1. AESC

AESC Member

I want to somehow lock my plow so someone else cant just pull up and drive away with it. I have the smart hitch. i keep it in my back yard most of the time next to my shed but you know somone still may go back there and steal it anyway. Right now by gate is broken and wide open which i should have fixed in the next few days as the weather is warming up. is there a special type of lock that would work that cant be cut off with bolt cutters??? last year i had a garage but i moved and my new house doesnt have one
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Chain it to something
  3. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I use one of those Heavy duty round MasterLocks and I put it in the hole where the pins snap into. No lock is cut proof! If someone wants it they can get it! I have gone thru very heavy and expensive locks and chains very quickly with my 18 volt sawzall!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Take a chain and go around the tube your lift cylinder is attached to, and then go around the A-frame. Otherwise take a paddlelock and lock it onto the where the lock pin goes thru.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Dale is right

All its going to do is keep them form doing it fast.
  6. Ground Control

Ground Control Member

7. AESC

AESC Member

i have those round master locks on my enclosed trailer. as well as the locks on the hitch but never had to worry about the plow as it was in a garage locked. My friend had his rack stolen off the front of his truck a few weeks ago parked on a main street. he had a reciever type lock that he got from the installer. (05 meyers plow)

I have lost the key to some locks and yes the demo blade on a sawzall will cut it easily same for those drawbar locks as mine last year froze up so i cut it off my old truck when i sold it. anything with the right tools is easy to take just take an extra minute or two. i plan on building a small shed to put over my plow in the spring so it is hidden and will just look like an over size dog house..

I know i coiuld pull up to a boss plow connect it and be gone in less than a minute.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This is your best bet. You can even use a lock on both sides if you really want.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use two large pad locks on the coupler lug pins. One on each side. Buy ones that are just big enough to fit around the pin but small enough to fit between the coupler plates. The beauty of that is the coupler plates will totally surround the lock, so you can't get at it with a set of bolt cutters...only a torch will remove it.

XXT 007.jpg
  10. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

in the winter probably not your best option but disconnect the power wire from the pump someone pulls up hooks up nothing no power thats what i do all summer like what was said if they ant it they will get it but slow them down as much as possible
  11. topdj

topdj Senior Member

12. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I like this idea. I have always kept my plow chained up when not in use and kept it chained to the truck when i had it on. Also i would install a disconnect switch on the battery going to the plow ( if you have a dual battery set up). This way the boss can't be removed. Either way if someones something that bad they will get it. Making it more difficult, it will make them think twice.
  13. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

14. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I think I like this as well!