1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lock Deicer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jspivxl102, Feb 16, 2003.

1. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

Does anybody know any tricks for getting inside a car when the keyhole is frozen shut? I would use lock Deicer but it is in the car. I tried warm water and shooting alchohol inside it, but no luck. Water just makes it worse. Anybody got any special technique?
    We are getting a decent amount of snow here in Richmond. I have 1 1/2 inches of sleet outside and the weather is calling for 18-22 inches by the end of tomorrow night. Who said Richmond doesn't get snow?
  2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Heat your key with a lighter;)

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Did you try the passenger side door?:cool:
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

welders torch?

How about taking the wifes car up to the gas station & buying more de-icer?

Call AAA or roadside repair?
  5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Hair Dryer
  6. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I use methanol, or you could use dry gas basically the same thing. I have a can in the garage. When the wifes car frooze up last year I just dropped the key in and took it to the car, took it out of the can, put it in the hole, let it set for a minute, and it worked. My 2 cents

7. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

I've sprayed WD-40 in the lock and it has worked , definitely spray it in after you get it unfrozen, and it won't freeze again.