1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Location of factory wired switches on 2005 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by canoebuildah, Nov 11, 2009.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I recently purchased a 2005 Silverado 2500 extended cab. There is a fog light switch near the head light switch and a roof mount light switch in the middle of the dashboard.

On my 2007 Chevy 3500, the roof mount light socket is located in the third brake light. Is that where I should look for the 2005 as well? Can I wire that socket for reverse lights that I want to mount on my Back Rack?

Is there a way to wiring driving/fog lights to the switch near the headlight switch? Might it be easier, not cheaper, to buy OEM Chevy driving lights for plug and play installation?

2. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

The wires for the roof light are on the drivers side tucked under the head liner pretty much right over the drivers head.
  3. ETMegabyte

ETMegabyte Member

The roof mount question's been answered already. It is, in fact, above the headliner, but mine was just behind where the driver sits (I'm in an extended cab, so that may be the difference)...

Anyway, to help answer your other question... I have the OEM fog lights, and I find them annoying, since they shut off every time I shut off the key. It doesn't "remember" that I used them last time... You have to push the button every time you turn on the headlights if you want to use them.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but I found <a href="http://www.rattlebars.com/avalanche/">this page</a> (written for the Chevy Avalanche) that has mods he did to his truck. I took particular interest in the "Fog Lamp Switch Reborn" section, which from the pictures looks exactly like my '03 GMC 2500HD. I will be doing that mod to my truck probably next spring... Part of the mod is how to bypass the oem switches and stuff, and put in a real on/off switch. Then you can put whatever you want for fog lights on the front of the truck (oem or aftermarket).

If I were you, I would do the mod to the switch from the Avalanche page, and use that switch to trigger a relay that powers aftermarket fogs. It'd look factory from inside the truck, but good aftermarket fogs will probably be better and brighter (and cheaper) than OEM fogs...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have a set of the fog lights. If you know what the factory list is one them, I'll take 20% off that.