1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

local road dept's.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FIREMAN, Feb 4, 2001.

1. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Member

does it seem to anyone else that their local road dept is slower than molases when plowing streets, kinda makes you wonder, are they just dogging the town for o/t???

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Not our town,
    Myself and most of the guys are in the local fire department together.
    The super and I call each during the night to ensure the other is up when snow is predicted.Also swap weather reports.
    I also belong to County super's association and get to know all the guys.

3. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing Member

This last storm with ice and 8" of snow put the city way behind. One week later, most of the side roads are not plowed to full width. Main streets are better, but sanding leaves a lot to be desired.

Paul

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The town i live in has an excellent highway dept,they really are top notch,as soon as i hit the town line-you can notice the difference right away.We are very lucky to have a good hiway superintentdent.The villages are behind in big storms,they have to remove snow on all the streets,and it takes then week,working at night with compact tractors,and skid steers to clear them all.

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

We have a very good highway department. During the Blizzard of 2000, the trucks would make a pass on our street about every hour to hour and a half. This one truck covers all of Riverside, which is a lot for one truck to handle. When the subs plow, they work in tandem with the new sterling. When nightfell after we had the big snow, our road was as wide as it could be and black.

On the other hand, my aunt lives in Norwalk. We had the storm on saturday, on sunday the roads dept hadn't even made one pass. the section she lives in is always the last to be plowed.

Even though our highway dept is Union, they work hard, and don't do a half a$$ job.

Bryan

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Ours is good as well they hire private contractors to pick up the slack on the heavier snows.

7. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

They guys in the trucks can only do what the management of the city will authorize. We used to have, what I would consider, top notch service from the city. The streets, meaning back streets, were plowed during storms, then reasonably after the storm.

The storm we had this week dumped 14". We were into the 36th hour before the city plows made the circuit. We had been to some customers 3 times before the city plows made one pass. It means extra call-backs for us. We charge, and say complain to the city, we have serviced you as required.

The guys in the trucks do their jobs well here. The cutbacks are what makes the service suffer. What bugged us was that the Director of Pubic Works was on the radio Friday stating that he was really proud of how his department rose to the challenge. He was being less than honest.

Dig's municipality has foresight to know when service should come above cost control. Our city stopped hiring contractors for storms 6 years ago, because they didn't like the bills. Now, we have to suffer the slower service.

8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

It's pathetic, we plow for the town(schools, parks ect...) During the blizzard last month we had all of our sites opened up during the storm but we had to plow some of the roads ourselves to get to our sites. We had trucks stuck on the raods and not the places we plow. Some of the roads didn't even get touched for like 18 hours after tthe storm began. We've had some storms where our sites are balck while there's still snow pack on the raods.

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My town sucks, they will salt 4" of snow with out plowing the streets and there is nothing worse than driving on greassy slush.

10. Santo

Santo Banned

Same here , but 3" salting only.

I wonder who the brightly skilled , overpaid engineer developes that thought process.

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

city and county do a great job here without subs. The city updates their website which has a map of the city showing where the trucks have plowed and where they are plowing (makes it hard for them to drag out the O.T. and you know when you need to go back and clean out approaches)

12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

County road and bridge out here works 4am till 2pm M-Th. If it snows Friday-Sunday the just don't plow the roads unless there is 12" of snow. And no this is not a joke.

13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have seen the state DOT here out scraping and sanding roads when only 1 to 2 iches fell.My local public works dept would just sand.Anything 6 inches or more they hire contractors to help plow the side roads while they focus on the main roads.The main roads are always cleared up faster but overall they do a good job.There is some cases where they get a sudden temp drop overnight and everything freezes up but you cant really blame them for that.

14. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

We have an excellent Highwat Dept. here too. I swear they plow until they see sparks because they will go and go, then take a break for a couple hours and go some more!!:drinkup: :drinkup:

15. szorno

szorno Senior Member

We've got a mixed bag here. State DOT does a good job on the US Hiway all the time. Plowing and mag as needed. The county I live in does a fair job, but refuses to use mag on even the steep S curve hill by my house. (everything imaginable has crashed there in the last 5 years) The county where I have most of my contracts is slow, and generally not on top of things. They don't get serious about plowing till 6" or so.:rolleyes:

16. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I am not going to say too much on this thread since I recall my very first post on this site was one about Municipal plow drivers.

The city of Meriden did a pretty good this past winter. My luck had it that we got the worst driver in our area though. Hes known by all other drivers and foremen as a bad plower (so its not just me). I live on a culdesac and he enjoys plowing all the snow with either no angle on the at all or by plowing it all with the blade angled to the same side dumping all the snow in one sides driveways and none on the other sides driveways.

Jay

17. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

My Towns Dept. of Public works has done a good job the past few years. Each guy and truck get a bunch of streets to do and stick with the same route all year. Then after their own routes are cleared they assist in other areas. Some guys are better then others. The only time they didn't do a good job and i can remember is the blizzard of 96. They didn't plow my road for 2 whole days. In the beginning the salted, plowed and salted again then after and durning the storm nothing then on the 3rd day about 3 or 4 trucks came up together and knocked it out.

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Originally posted by snowplowjay
    I am not going to say too much on this thread since I recall my very first post on this site was one about Municipal plow drivers.

Uh, Jay.... I believe the thread was Cowboy Municipal Plow Drivers!!;)

19. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I knew you'd remember it Pelican :). So much has changed since that post when i was a Plowsite Virgin :)

Jay

20. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Our town crew is hobbled by a foreman who is still living in the 50s. Let it pack on, then sand it. It's pretty common that we plow our residentials before the town gets the roads cleared.

Town south of us is very progressive, so it's easy to tell when you cross the town line, the roads are either slushy or bare and black while ours are snowpacked and rutted.

New town manager this year, came in from southern NY. He may not like the current attitude and heads may roll.