1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Local Plow driver killed......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CHCSnowman, Feb 8, 2014.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I know this happened earlier this week, but I just now got around to reading the article. Young guy fell asleep and hit a vehicle after plowing all night. Left behind his 2 young sons. His family is accepting donations for the kids future....he was a single daddy.

If any of you would like to offer words of encouragement or a donation.....please follow this link.

Be safe guys....we almost got this winter over with.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

do you know any more info?
  3. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I just know his name was Donovan Snider and he owned and operated his own lawn care company in Indianapolis. He had been out plowing for 2 days and fell asleep at the wheel, hit another vehicle and killed him. The link above gives info.

BTW....They have now raised enough for his funeral and they will have a good start on college for his kids....I think they have raised about $30,000. Many local lawn care and snow removal companies have stepped up and helped out, not to mention just strangers who have helped them. I did not know Donovan, but he sounds like a family guy who was a hard worker.
  4. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

How sad, my prayers go out to the family.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Just was wanting a little more info thanks
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Wow...he'll of a time to go. Sucks.
  8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Very sad to hear that, just a reminder to us all that we got to stop at some point to rest, even if it means a customer has to wait or find another contractor. Rule 1: get home safely
  9. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

That's sad, that guy sounded like a hard worker doing what it took to keep his customers serviced. I know I've been out plowing for days straight and pretty much almost falling asleep many times. This is a wake up call for me. R.I.P fellow snow fighter.
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sad indeed.

I have literally nodded off before while plowing, doing a local parking lot for the Lions. Slammed into my plowed up snowbank at the end of the lot and startled myself awake, decided that it was time to go home (about 7 mins away), didn't even finish the lot. If I hadn't hit the snowbank, its a steep 40' drop into a ravine. Screw that, I'll take two hours for a nap and go back.

Speaking of safety, who wears their seatbelt while plowing? I am a stickler for seatbelts but the one in the plow truck is a pain, it wants to drop down into the seat all the time so I often don't wear it. Not a good idea! May have to do something about that...
  11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I can't stress how important it is to keep up with your sleep. They say that fatigue is as bad as or worse than ALCOHOL. It is always better to have a pissed off customer, than ending up dead or killing someone.
  12. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

RIP Donovan
  13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I think we've all been there at one time or another. It's very scary. I've had to park the truck for a few hours before even with more work to do (low priority stuff) just to get some sleep before someone got killed.

I always wear my seat belt. I was raised to always wear it and I guess it just stuck so I always wear it.
  14. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

R.i.P plow brother our thoughts and prayers are with your family

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I find it's too hard to get accustomed to plowing all night!

I'm up everyday at 7 can go a few weeks without plowing and then wham, problem is your up for 24 hours straight,

It gets worse when you are scraping a lot, it gets boring and too me pointless, I want snow in my bucket, I got to feel productive or something.

I've been plowing since Sunday last night was the worst because it snowed less than a 1/4" an hour.

You go in at 5 and by 7 it's pretty clean then the driving in circles starts.
    By 4 am your bored out of your mind and start fighting to keep your eyes open,
    Then at 5 they ask you if you want to do another lot!! Hell no,

It's nothing for the day guys too work a couple extra hours if I worked days I could too because that's what I'm used to doing, different story staying up all day and night.
    They haven't figured out I'm out where it actually snows , so I can't anticipate if they get snow I might as well sleep all winter waiting for snow!!
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

That just absolutely sucks! This is the exact reason we're going to 12 hour shifts next year. There's been many days this year we've all been out for at least 24 hours straight. I had my Guardian Angel with me a couple times this year. RIP Brother!
  17. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Long ago my father would tell my brothers and I about a time when he had no choice but to stay out and plow. He was out for over 4 days straight plowing a mall with his blazer and western plow. He was running a small operation and all of his equipment broke down from all the snow they were getting. Keep in mind this was a time wheel loaders were just getting started out and they had gas engines and steel fuel tanks that rusted so bad that the rust clogged the filters. Ontop of that the heat in trucks back then was so weak you could only heat the window or your feet, not both. He plowed an entire mall by himself for days while he kept fuel in the tank and donuts in the cab from a gas station down the street. Coffee, coffee, coffee. He couldnt rest knowing that if he didnt keep pushing on that the snow would be too far ahead of him. He got hit with 30+ inches of heavy snow and he had to push 5 to even 10 foot high snow drifts with his truck hoping his plow would take the force from literally ramming the drifts. From the time he had started and finished he hadn't slept the entire time. I couldn't fathom being up for that long and even though it sounds immature i do hope one day i get to be in such an event that it just doesn't quit snowing for days. He completed the job and drove home. Luckily the truck died when he pulled into his driveway and he went to bed to wake up 24hrs later as if no time had passed at all. The next day he found that the motor in the truck blew as soon as he had pulled into the drive. He had bought the truck new only a few months before and got the plow on it just in time for the seasons early start. Thought this would be an interesting tale to tell. A true one at that. It makes me really appreciate the advances in technology we have today and how great the equipment we have available to us truly is.

My prayers go out to that mans family. God bless. RIP. :salute:
  18. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Wow... very sad... makes a guy think twice...
  19. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

this and some of the comments in this thread are the very reason I refuse to put in more than 12 hours straight. there should never be a need to pull over and nap for an hour or 2 just to finish the work. by that times it's time to call it quits and retire for a good 6-8 hours of sleep.

personally NO amount of money, no amount of work and no client is worth my personal safety. if clients can't understand that they are more than welcome to hire someone else. being solo I have to take care of myself and my equipment the absolute best I can. if I get sick or killed there is no one to keep going for me.

hopefully these types of articles are enough to teach these "I worked 35 hours straight" guys that's NOT bragging and it doesn't make you maco or impressive.
  20. pascack

pascack Junior Member

stay safe people!