1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Local guy totals new Dodge dumper with SS X-blade.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Jello1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Saw this in the local Paper.Looks like it was a beautiful truck. Happened in Scranton, PA. We got hit with really bad freezing rain last night. You can't see from the pics here, but on TV this morning they showed it and the 10' high cliff he hit on the side of the road. Can you say frame damage. Where's that thread with the similar dodge that hit the tree on here. Not impressed with Dodge's frame recently.

Edit: Here's a link to get the 2 pics. http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/ice-wreaks-havoc-on-nepa-roads-1.484462#
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Got to love 80 and 81 throughout the Poconos!
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That driver had one heck of a ride!

Learned to respect that area really quick in the winter, nice and dry on one side of the hill and black ice all the way down the other side.
  5. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

not to far from my neck of the woods, that really sucks :cry:
  6. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I'm sorry but I gotta say it. Those Dodge frames really just amaze me, they seem to snap like a twig.
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I didn't look through all the pics so that may answer my question, but was the truck carrying any load in the bed? Personally I would be pissed that my new truck was totalled but lets face it that may save your life. Something's gotta give, something has to absorb the weight and mass and momentum, its either you (not replaceable and not nice) or the truck (insurance can buy you another and truck shopping is always fun to me, though often dampened by the recent loss). I would like to assume that truck was probably loaded good with salt, perhaps traveling a little too fast (maybe he was over confident and in a hurry to get to the next jobsite?) and obviously the conditions were very bad. I would be glad to walk away from that accident and my only loss be a truck and some downtime. Very upset i would be, but that loss is a small price to pay compared to injuries you will probably deal with pain from the rest of your life. I'm only 22 and have back problems have had since i was a kid. I definitely have no desire to worsen the problem as i'm still able to work and deal with the pain as is. Guarantee you that a bad accident would probably put me over the edge.

Hope the driver is ok and let this be a sober reminder to all of us to be very careful out there. We definitely are among the better drivers in severe weather but that doesn't make us immortal, our vehicles indestructible, or other drivers unable to hurt us or cause us to make bad decisions.
  8. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Why are you surprised by frame dammage? LOOK at the the truck. I would be surprised if the frame wasn't messed up. My god, I can't believe the driver is alive, let alone the frame not bent/cracked/etc. The front half of the truck doesn't even exist in pieces larger than my fist any more. Always hating on the dodges...:help: Meanwhile, chevy frames are known for breaking from rust and a plow on the front.
  9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

from a firefighters perspective that truck help up pretty good, doesn't matter the frames broke any truck would be totaled. look at the cab, its not bad the doors could be popped open pretty quick. they design things so the drivers cabin satys straight as possibly while the rest of the truck absorbs the impact and the driver can get out safely.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Looks like there is salt in the back. I don't think any frame would hold up.
  11. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldnt you almost want the frame to give in a crash like that to take up some of the impact?
  12. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Everyone defending the truck so far have been the dodge boys! Ya its one heck of a crash, and I am far from liking dodge, but what the f would you expect?
  13. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

man that truck is all sorts of f*cked up!
  14. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

the plow held up better than the truck.
  15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

yea looks like he can transfer it over to the new truck :dizzy:
  16. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what the circular thing is in the dump bed. It looks like a car wheel.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Sure the frame bent, but I think under the circumstances it wasn't as bad as it could of been. If you are driving in the interstate and run into soft mud and have a spade on the front of the truck NTM the extra load in the back intertia will not be on your side. When you think of it it would be worse than hitting a contrete wall, for the fact in the mud you would stop almost instantly. Never the less I hope the driver is OK and I wouldn't want to do that ride in any truck no matter the brand.
  18. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Sort of looks like a motorcycle wheel. Click on the pic so it gets a little bigger. After you do that, hold down on control and press the button with the + symbol until it gets big enough to see it. Press control and 0 to get it back to normal. Ctrl and + make bigger, Ctrl and - make smaller and Ctrl and 0 make normal.
  19. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

we had many accidents all over from that.... whats not mentioned in that article is the fact that two police cruisers were also involved in accidents... that stretch of road is usually the first to get nasty.

that was a beautiful truck tho
  20. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

And your F 150 is better?:dizzy: