1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Local Dept. Highways quote of the year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tgumby4, Mar 23, 2006.

1. tgumby4

tgumby4 Junior Member

Got this quote from local newspaper " Whether we get an inch or 10 inches, it takes the same amount of time (to clear and treat the roads)". This quote came from a West Virginia Department of Highways employee. The quote is in reference to questions of what the W.V. DOH is going to spend the surplus money that they have left over due to the mild winter. This employee must work behind a desk and have no clue of snow plowing.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Who knows:rolleyes: With 1" we can get away with curbside plowing and salting including cul-de-sacs. If we get 2" then it's 4 passes for roads and all cul-de-sacs have to be plowed. Maybe he's never seen 10" on a street before. Or...his battery on his watch died 3 years ago.:)

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

umm, I see this as plausable.

Aside from not spending money on as much salt, which there was still a number of saltable events. It's teh same amount of trucks man hours, etc... to plow a 2" dump that falls in 3 hours as a 2' dump that falls in 3 hours.

The plow trucks here go out whenever there is accumulation on roads. The plow pushes 10"s of snow as easy as 1". They go at roughly the same speed and take just as many passes.

For the most part when plowing a parking lot with a pickup truck and a 8.5' blade, you have to take twice as many passes to push 8" as you do 2". Which is why the more accumulation, the more you work.

With city trucks plowing it is more on the length of time snowing than the amount. Unless they have to do curbside removal.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

depens what time of day they work also. ie.....nights and weekends/holidays probably pay a little more.

5. GA73

GA73 Member

well the state and the county say the same thin h.ere also

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

The first thing that I thought of was cul-de-sacs. Our 5-yards have 11' blades, which is nice, but they are not V plows. 10" of snow on a cul-de-sac = a lot of trail off and more time to clean-up. As far a costing the same dollar amount, I don't believe that. One example is fuel comsumption. Plow and clean-up 6" of dry snow and then do the same for 6" of heavy, wet slop. Truck works harder = you burn more fuel.

7. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

If I'm plowing a road, it doesn't slow a truck down whether it's an inch or 10 inches... when plowing a road. The snow doesn't slow down the truck. I go the same speed when I'm plowing a private road, and I'm sure it's the same with the town/state roads as well.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yah, they don't care, it'll depend more on timing.

Where I'm at, St. Paul, MN, there's TONS of traffic during the day so the plows are going to have to go a little slower than if there were no traffic.

I could see where it'd take a little longer to clean up, at on ramps / off ramps and or cul-de-sacs.

ALTHOUGH, I doubt the W.V. Department of Highways has very many cul-de-sacs they're doing, more like miles and miles and miles of "straight-wing-it-to-the-side" plowing.

City plows would be doing the cul-de-sacs.

Just as with my own commercial stuff, if you can just wing it all to one side, it doesn't take that much longer to do a 6-8" snowfall as a 2-3" snowfall.

It's when you have to push the piles from one area to another where you start to lose the time.

9. tgumby4

tgumby4 Junior Member

Around here the DOH is responsible for the main state roads and interstate highways. City crews handle the residential streets. In my thinking the only way a 1" storm would require the same amount of time and material to clear as a 10" storm would be to wait until both storms have passed and the snow has stopped falling. Are you all telling me that in your area of the country your highway crews wait until 10" of snow accumulate on your local interstate highways before they clear them? Around here a 10" snowfall requires at least 3-4 plowings to keep traffic flowing. I thought our highway trucks were slow to work but maybe yours are worse. Help me out here if my thinking is off base.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, you got me there..... :D

11. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

In some cases it does..not all..we go out as soon as snow starts to stick on the primaries, first with abrasives, then wait till traffic works at it.. then we go back out and hit them with salt to loosen whatever the traffic has packed down...at 2", we start to push and keep pushing the primaries till snow stops and pavement is showing. In the meantime, a crew will start on some secondary roads treating or pushing them off and the grader man (me) will start pushing off gravel roads. So basically, your out..even at an inch, we still push off any slush buildup on primaries and travel the secondaries for cold spots. Here in Virginia, there are no town or county departments, the state handles all roads except for within the bigger cities. So no matter if it's an inch or two or 10" your still good for a 12 hr shift and a night crew will be in for ice control or to finish pushing depending on snow totals. It's just the guide lines VDOT has set for snow removal.

12. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Alaska

Hummmmm, you guys actually see city and state plows on the roads. Up here were lucky to see a plow even after a snow. They use to be really good up here but I think they have become lazy or they worry to much about liability. This past year I saw state plows twice all winter and in town they wait until the snow has fallen before they even hit the roads. Its usually a real mess for several days after while they take their time cleaning and it gives us small guys more work after they are done because we usually get call back bu our customers to clear out what the city has shoved back into thier drives or parking lot aprons. This is also crash bumper car heaven during a snow because nuts on the road think they can drive like they do when its dry.