1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Local county roads/sub contract?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jerrywane, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

ussmileyflagThis is my 1st thread on this site....and my only complaint is there is TOO much information to plow through (sorry for the pun).I did some plowing in the outskirts of Chicago for a guy for two winters@ 60 bucks an hour w/ his stuff.Loved it.Now i live in S.E. Kentucky where the snow seasons are coming back to normal.Probably 12 plowable snows this winter.I can get alot of lot work,and probably break even in a season and a half.I figure 6-8 hundred per snow.I am thinking its gonna cost me about 8 grand to get going....5 for the plow,1,500 for tires&rims,+ 1,500 for the front end work.I wonder if you could go to city hall and ask them if they would pay to have some of these neglected roads takin care of for a good rate,or if the liability would discourage this.Some of these roads dont ever see a plow.Hell the close the schools for a 1/2 inch of powder.....I was just wondering if anyone ever successfully tried this and @ what rate/x insurance,who buys the salt? It is always lightweight snow and 1-5 inches,so i dont need a H/D plow.....great site guys

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

you can see if the town is taking bids for sub work other than that im not really sure what you can do. i would say get a few driveways and maybe bid a commercial lot or two or you could sub for another company with your equipment and then do some of your own accounts after that

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You were getting $60/hr driving his truck??? We CHARGE close to that for a truck. I need to move
  4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

I'm from Chicago and can't see him getting 60 a hour using a company truck unless his dad owns the company
  5. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

It was Naperville dude

It was a landscape/snow removel contract for huge sub divisions,and he paid fast....some winters good ,others not to good,,,and most Naperville people do not dirty there hands with such nonsence of snow removel you twitt:salute:
  6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Doing municipal streets is a whole different ballgame than commercial lots, or even subdivisions. I've done all three. Ask your city/county public works dept if they sub contract snow removal to private contractors. If they do, find out what the equipment requirements are before you buy. I doubt they are hiring 1/2 tons with 7.5 straight blades.

I would strongly recommend a commercial plow if you subcontract with a municipality. I do not consider a 5" snow, lightweight, especially when it comes to plowing streets.

All the best.:salute: