1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

local co that subs out work.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 27, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Well, my freinds dad who plows, told me some great tips. and he uses his truck and plow and get work from other co's. anyway, long story short, hes a sub for a pretty big co around here, and he has an f250 with 8ft myer plow, anyway long story short, he told me that this paticular co. gives $55 an hour! he would plow from 11pm-8am. i figure thats alot, but then again perhaps when your 16 like me, it seems like alot when maybe it isnt?

also, im planning on buying a plow, and he might be selling his because hes getting a new truck soon (hes selling his truck too, but i cant afford it :() and the lots this co gives you are commercial, so it would be great to have that big of a truck and an 8ft plow.

so would it be possible to plow a commercial lot with an f150 with 7.6 plow?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Of course it's possible. $55/hr seems like more than it is, really. One other thing - I doubt you have General Liability insurance without which they are unlikely to hire you (overlooking the fact that you're 16 yrs old - not likely to go for that either).

3. PremierLand

from detroit

very true, thats why if i do decide to go along with this, i will have my father say he's doing it, which he wouldnt, and i wouldnt because of school, so i'd be having them making checks to my dad, and i'd be paying someone $12 to plow with my truck and plow.

4. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You are opening up a huge can of worms in terms of liability with that whole situation, IF something was to happen, with or without commercial insurance coverage. Besides around here I hear the going rate when you supply the truck and plow is $20 - $30 an hour.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes its possible to plow commercial with a 7'6" and an F-150 just be religious in maintaining the truck when its under that kind of stress.
    I mean this in a ploite way but its going to sound like iam being a Jerk......
    You have to be VERY careful with commercial jobs and lying about whos doing the plowing. Its a big mistake to plow commercial without general liability insurence you can find yourself in HUGE trouble. I would reluctnetly say "go ahead" without insurence if you were just doing drives but commercial forget it. Who are you going to find to plow with your truck for $12 an hour, thats going to take his orders form a 16 year old? At 16 you can't be anybodys boss, just the way it is. You also have to pay to maintain the truck and pay for fuel at the very least. It would be one thing if you were a 12 truck operation then you could sub out your work. What if something happens to the truck do you have a back up plan, otherwise you have an entire lot that needs to be plowed and now your going to have to hire someone elses truck to do it for you. Your also not gaining anything by having someone else do the plowing id think you would want to learn how. No way at your age are you going to sit at home and and turn a profeit of $43/hr while someone else does it all for $12/hr. You also said that your friends father plows for a company that plows for commercial customers. SO wouldent the company have insurence and the check go to the company then they pay you as their employee? You sound like you are trying to start your own 1 truck company and bid on commercial on your own, which is it? At my age i would only get involved with VERY small lots and do mainly driveways. I plow a very small conveinent store parking lot at the top of my street only because i know the guy well. Other people who have asked me to plow their small lots i have politely referred them to another plower. School is no object for me i will stay up for 4 days strait and still go to school and plow, i take both very seriousley. Reality is that if the storm is big enough then school is alredy out of the way to begin with. Commercial wants to be plowed right away on their schedule not yours so for me i can only do residential. I know about half of my customers personally and they could care less as long as i show up in a reasonable time. If its a 4" overnight storm and there is school the next day i will plow all night and usually get it done by 6am. Clean up if necessary starts after school. Once again if its any kind of a storm that is going to be hard to plow then school will be cancelled. I have never missed or been late for school because i was out plowing and i have never recieved a "time complaint" from any of my customers they all know my schedule and its never a problem.

Think some more about what i said about just residential at your age (and mine). 2 years ago i had plenty of "get rich quick" ideas when it came to plowing, i realized that none of them worked. Get the plow first, then think about getting started with some drives around your neighborhood, forget the commercial lots. And the "pay someone else to use your truck" will never work at your age. Especially if you think you can sit in school making $43/hr while some adult makes $12, the guy would have to be a homeless person, are you giving one of those guys the keys to your truck? Never mind the liability involved. Even if you went foward with your idea you would never turn a profeit.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  6. PremierLand

from detroit

well, thats funny, because i have 3 employees for landscaping who are over 23. but then again, they dont know my age, when they ask i tell them to forget about it. and yes i know about fuel, i plan to give who ever is driving the truck a $50 allowance for gas and whatnot. plus my cousin is out of work and he is 26 and he already said he'd work for me.

thank you though i see what you mean. im going to see about getting insurance and how much it'd be a month.

also, i have pretty good contacts with commercial, my uncle owns a body shop, brother owns 7-11, another owns dominoes, and im really good freinds with the fellow at the party store, and im also really good freinds with the guy who does subs for Rizzo (whos pays $50) so he said he can get me in on that if i want.

but before i go out and buy a plow i think im going to wait because my buddys dad who has the f250 and 8ft plow said he would let me barrow it first snow fall so i can make sure i like it before i go out and buy a $3500 plow.

also, trust me, i know about upkeep on a truck, i just put a new tranny in the f150, i just changed the diffs and oil and put a tranny cooler on it. im going to do the tranny fluid and diffs again in december or january.

and why wouldnt i turn a profit? the guy wont know im making $43 an hour while hes making $12. as long as i upkeep on my truck and make sure its taken care of, and have a good plow, it should be fine, but then again i bought the f150 to plow and i already spent $2,700 on repairs when i paid $3500 for it, so i already spent 2700 on it when i havent even been putting it to work, so who knows. ill just stick with the residentals for now and then maybe in january or something ill get subs with rizzo

and yes im considered the employee with my own truck and plow if i were to go with the company who pays $55. but see, i dont want to have contracts with my first year, thats why i rather just do small lots door to door my first year and also work for rizzo so i can make some just incase.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No offense but how do you decide weather to plow or not AFTER the first storm, and after you have commercial customers to take care of? I would not commit to anything unless i at least had a plow alredy.

How do you afford to pay 3 employees at your age, i wish i had as much money as you. Who ever plows for you at 12/hr i hope they know that their getting screwed. My guess is they would figure it out fast that you are completely screwing them! How are you going to do all the things you mentioned at once, plow "door to door" and plow for "rizzo" and do a few residential all while someone else drives your truck for 12/ hr. Do you plan on bidding on these jobs as your own one man company or are you working for a company. Are these just options that you are considering? Iam really confused about the whole thing, not saying its your job to make me understand iam sure you could care less weather i understand or not but make yourself clear please. If you have never even plowed snow before then you have no idea what you are getting yourself into. I would strongly recommend that you learn how to plow in driveways instead of taking on the HUGE liability of plowing large commercials (dominos pizza) all on your own.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  8. PremierLand

from detroit

i see what your saying. but these are just options im considering.... like i said above, for rizzo, i dont put bids out, i just do what they tell me to do and get paid $55 an hour. so when you do plow for rizzo its usually 11pm-8am, then after school i could do a few door to door's to get some extra cash. but i think maybe ill do the rizzo thing next year when i get more experience. and this year just do door to door, and a party store, dominoes, 7-11, and a body shop. they are all small lots execpt for 7-11 and the party store.

this year maybe ill just start with the residentals, and those 4 comm. accts. then maybe either next year, or later this year ill do the thing with rizzo once i get fimiular with the plow.

9. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I guess we were all big-eyed and bushy tailed at one point in time. then reality sets in... He'll learn. Give him some time, and he'll understand how things really work in this world. When I was 16, I thought I was invincible, too.

10. Land Design

Land Design Member

Just a few words of wisdom..........

don't be so quick to believe everything you hear when it comes to what someone will pay you. In this area it is common to get payed for sub work between $35.00 - $ 75.00 pending rig/plow/experience. As for the company you speak of to do work for...............trust me, their not itching to let you in and they don't care in any way of making sure you get hours once your "hired".

just my 2cents speaking from 1st hand experience.