1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loading Up Salt Trucks

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by KMBertog, Dec 3, 2010.

1. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Guys

I figured I would share this with you. A quick little video I took tonight as we were loading salt for tonight/tomorrow's incoming snow system.

1st one of the year in Chicagoland, baby! payup

All my fellow Chicagoans, good luck this weekend!
  2. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

Nice. Looks like you have a serious operation. liked the pics of all the trucks inside on a dif thread. The salt looks blue what do you treat with ?
  3. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

all i can say is... im jealous... in SE Pennsylvania there is nada in the forcast...guess ill keep doing cleanups...
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That skid needs an operator. LOL
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice video. How many yards do you usualy put on them 1 tons?
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I agree! If anything, the truck should be parked on an angle inside the salt dome.
  7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Haha, yeah we load as close to the pile as possible. At least you are all paved, we are only paved at the pile and a loading pad. Good luck tomorrow, make some coin! We still have 2 more weeks of cleanups!
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

that has to take some time you need a bigger bucket or a bigger machine but it's looks like a great set up
  9. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Thats a very nice sight to see! Its just starting here. Good Luck to you Keith!

10. KMBertog

All of the salt that is spilled while loading gets cleaned back into the bin while one loaded truck exits and another backs up. None of it gets wasted, believe me.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking the same thing,lol Hopefully it was an enclosed cab. Tell him the foot pedal on the right curls the bucket. :laughing:
  12. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Get a grain auger and stop waisting salt. Set hopper at the salt pile and auger to the truck , less waist....WOW
  13. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Nice video's......You should make a single thread for all of your equipment and video's though. I dont wanna miss some sweet equipment
  14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Really nice video...good luck tonight
  15. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Skid needs a proper bucket for loading. Look for a tractor/loader bucket that is shallower and taller, will work a LOT better.
  16. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Learn to spell before you comment.
  17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Got to love those old New Hollands.
  18. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly about 5 pounds fell out, not a bid deal
  19. KMBertog

Thank you for this comment! :)

Do you all forget the industry we are in? Landscape/Snow removal.

Have none of you ever spilled some topsoil/mulch/gravel/salt, etc.
  20. KMBertog

Thanks Mercer. We put 4 buckets.... So I guess 4 yards? It's a large "snow bucket" we put on the skid that loads the trucks in the winter. Maybe not quite that much. Again, I am just guessing.

We load the trucks fairly light these days since we have received a few overweight tickets before.