1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loading/unloading a vbox, need fab ideas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turbo38sfi, Oct 30, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Looking for ideas, pictures preferrable of what you guys are using to load/unload your sanders.

I don't have accesss to a skidsteer, forklift, tractor. I'm thinking of building a hoist out of
    4" I-Beams. I'm thinking 7 ft tall by 7 1/2 ft wide. It would be 3 pieces, welded together or bolted possibly for taking apart purposes. It would have a large plate base on the bottom of each post. This should provide enough support for a free standing beam to use a chain fall to lift the sander in and out of my truck while in the garage.

Opinions or better ideas on how I could make this contraption using 4" I beams?

Pictures welcomed!

2. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

well if you have a skidsteer handy then id just use it . but the sander might get a lil bumped up. i sedt my salters on 55 gallon drums

3. daplowman

daplowman Member

A frame Gentry crane with a chain hoist - roll under it hook up 4 straps pull the chain I am gone. That simple

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the I beam already I would do it your way. It's easier lifting a salter up, then trying to slide it out on something. When you lift it up you don't have to worry about taking the spinner off.

5. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

I bought some of that pallet racking like in Home Depot made the cross members 10ft long so i can back my dually under it, hook up a chain hoist and gone. Then when the season is over you can take it down or use it for shelving or just store it. Im going to set it up this weekend i will get some pics of you want.

6. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I'm more worried about my setup being safe. In my head it works but that doesn't mean anything!

It's basically a gantry setup as mentioned.

7. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

northern tool has the gantry system. I don't think it was too expensive. That would be the safest way if you didn't have a machine.

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

a hand

we used to build leg's that would fold down when you lifted the spreader up from the top.lift ,fold the rear legs down,pin in place ,drive the truck out further ,fold out the front leg's and pin in place .and it's stored !

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The racking is a great idea, very strong and you can find it used fairly cheap. Great idea, I like it.

10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

11. Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf Junior Member

We use a hoop made from 6x6 cca posts 2) 6x6x12 sunk 3 ft in ground and 1) 6x6x10 for the top with a inexpensive chain hoist from northern hydraulics. Its lasted10 yrs with no problems.

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is something I made to hold my sander. The sides are 2x6's nailed with sections of 2x6 in the middle to provide a slot. I actually rigged something on the side for a 4x4 and 4x6 for the back brace and used a 2x6 with angle iron on it for the front brace. The one ton chain hoist hung from a piece of oak I had milled out so it was cut on three sides - approx 6x10. I have a lot of lumber hanging around so it didn't cost anything for all this. I have no idea what it would cost at a lumber store, though.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=10274

The front brace that the plow is sitting on also has three 2x6's nailed together to form a 6x6 in addition to the 2x6 with angle iron. (Better too much support than too little.)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  13. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Mick, that's quite the contraption! Good idea and specially since you said you had all the materials. Looks like it will support the sander loaded!

I'm building one out of steel and will post some pics when it's done in a few wks.

14. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

hoist

heres the one i made. I liftt he sander up and slide the pickup box trailer under it forthe summer then switch back in the winter.

it is about 15'-20' tall and 10' wide.

if someone can resize my pic, id apreciate it.