1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loading Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JamoPropertyNYC, Mar 7, 2015.

1. JamoPropertyNYC

JamoPropertyNYC Junior Member
    from 11357

Hey everyone- New guy here, Ive worked in the Snow Removal business for awhile and opened up my own company and did very well this year. This may be a stupid question but besides for a Bobcat and Manual Shoveling salt into a big bed spreader. Are there any other ways to load a spreader?

2. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

I have heard these work well: http://www.bagcorp.com/products.php

You could use a forklift or something that can lift the bag and then pull the string on the bottom to dump it into the spreader...

3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

There's guys using mini skid loafers with a ramp..
    Go to the salt yard and have them load you there

4. jerpa

jerpa Member

I did a lot of research on this and either getting loaded at the yard or buying a skid steer seem to be the most feasible solutions for almost everyone. I read the bags do not last too long and you still need a forklift. Some people have unique barn setups with elevated loading areas. There was an auger system on here I saw as well. I'm just buying a used skid steer. I shoveled and bucketed well over 40 tons of bulk salt into my truck and then into the tailgate spreader this year. The savings from bulk will pay for a good portion of the loader.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

load it with a skid steer, most common way.

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Skidsteer or a front end loader both work

If you can store your salt inside out of the weather.