1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loaders?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Caneplow, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

In the process of looking at John Deere 4300 Tractor of loader and backhoe projects. Anyone else have this size loader for their business? Do you find it useful? Do make and $$ with it??

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'll leave this post here for now, but it really belongs in the Heavy Equipment Forum.

~Chuck

3. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Sorry

Sorry Chuck, you could delete it you like and I'll repost. I was interested if anyone in the plowing side uses them. Sorry for the wrong post.:(

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Well, that's different then :) Anyone using a backhoe for snow removal?

~Chuck

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Loader

I use a Case 580K 4WD drive Backhoe Loader for snow removal. Andf Yes I do make money with it!

That said, I will be looking at putting a Protech or comparable pusher on it this year, in an effort to make it more productive.

Welcome Back Chuck !!!! A NEON ?????? You have got to be kidding!!!!

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I can't say enough good things about a case 580. This past winter I had to rent one for the winter to load sand and salt with. We were so happy with the unit's performance for stack snow, we plan on renting 2 this winter. The rental rate for the unit that we recieved was fair.

Geoff

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

GeoffD

What market are you in? what kind of rental price did you pay and for how long?

I may want to rent a couple additional units this year. So I am looking for comparisons.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

my 580L was great this past year for pileing snow.It ran very well in the snow and would recomend one highly.But nothing beats a loader in the snow.

9. GeoffD

We do, commercial, residential and private roads. I am located in Maine, what we consider big is probably small to you guys. I am not sure on the exact figure for the rental over the winter, however i belive it was between 800 and 1K. The 580 was our yard machine for the season, because my backhoes and loaders were out on the jobs.

Geoff

10. Chuck Smith

from NJ

My buddy has a 1986 Case 580E. It's a little odd, because it's not an extend-a-hoe, and it's 4wd. I have been told the 4wd's are 580K's, and the E's are extend-a-hoes, and 2wd.

Great machine, I have spent countless hours on it. It could use new pins on the hoe, but other than that, no problems at all. After 14 years, not much to complain about.

I only used it to stack snow once, and it had no trouble at all.

~Chuck

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Chuck The Case backhoes are as follows in the 580 line,C wich came 2wd only but you could get extendahoe,D,E,K ,Sk,L,SL all came with 4wd,extendahoe, and cabs as options all machines came 2wd standard hoe unless otherwise ordered with it.The G series was short lived and I can't tell to much about it but to saw I heard It was not that good of a machine.Case went thru many diferent machines from the K series on trying to make them better which leads to the series II's and so on.The 590 is probably the best overal machine for it size and wheight and digging depth and it's small foot print compared to some other brands out there and with the 590 your in the 100+HP range.

12. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Be careful what you put on it to move the snow. My buddy works for a bigger company in the area and they put him in a case backhoe 4x4 I'm not sure the exact size it was but it had a 14' protech on it and he said when the snow got heavy and wet and especialy if there was any ice the machine wouldn't push it at all. It just sat there with the tires spinning. He spent a handfull of long nights this past winter clearing lots with just the bucket because the plow didn't fit the machine.
    Casey

13. GeoffD

That is why, I may sound Old School. However on our back hoes, we have 10' blades. On our loaders with pushers we run 16 pushers and have 14' blades if needed. During the day, when you are plowing around cars we just run the blade, scrapes better.

Geoff

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I agree with geoff You would be better off with a 10' blade if you had to have it than a pusher box.I use my 580L more just for pileing than pushing.Unless it's very heavy than I just scape with the bucket a little more time consumption but it gets the job done in the end.