1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firedog, Apr 21, 2000.

1. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

What size of loader is too big? Or what size do you use and how well do they work. I just bought a least a 6yder and am wondering how it will work. Any one using one this large. PS the price was right.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I wouldn't worry about useing a 6 yard loader, as long as you have a lot big enough for it. If you get a 10 acher lot, you will be mint. <p>I looked at a 1974 Cat with a 6 yard bucket. I am thinking about buying it for a snow removal loader only. It used to be used at a gravel pit full time for like 11 years, for the past 12 it has been used as a spare loader in the pit. Used for plowing in the winter and, when the newer loaders break down.<p>If they drop the price, i just might buy it.<p>Oh yea with that six yard bucket, you will be able to scoop lots of snow. It's amazing how little a 3 yard bucket moves at once, when you are looking at a 20' snowpile. If anything else try to get a second job of moving snow for a city, when they have parking bans.<p>Geoff

3. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We use several loaders ranging from 1 yard to 5 yard bucket sizes.All of the machines are used with Pro tec pusher boxes.The boxes can push at least 300% more with a pusher than without.On our larger machines a Cat 966 and a JCB 416 both with 5yd buckets do better when the bucket loads up with snow and have a pusher attached.The added weight of the snow in the bucket give the machines additional traction.The smaller machines (2yd buckets) tend to break traction if you let the bucket fill up with snow when using a pusher box.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

4. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

john, you fill up the bucket first then hook up the pusher?

5. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

I only plan on using it for snowplowing, I'm thinking about a 18' protech, whata think? too big or too small

6. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

john, how many loaders do use have or use? Sizes? Do you like having more loaders than trucks?

7. n y snow pros

We have 6 machines.The larger ones have the box attached and instead of backing up when the pusher fills up on the 1st run. the operator continues to fill the box and it eventually overflows and the snow goes over the top filling the bucket ,it works well if you need to make turns which is when the loaders most vunerable at breaking traction.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

8. n y snow pros

I like running loaders as much as possible as they are in my opinion much more efficient than trucks.In the past we have had 6 to 8 trucks in 1 lot where now we can do the same work with 1 loader and 1 truck.Some people prefer a large danials type plow blade on the loader and i can see the reasoning for this but we prefer the boxes,they are more forgiving to curbs than plows tend to be.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200