1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loaders - tires slipping, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by sk187, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We have a few loaders with 16' push boxes on (you can see the equipment by clicking the link in my signature) and both loaders slip when there is any ice or slippery snow.

We have priced chains out for the loaders and it is recommended to get all 4 tires done not just 2. The down side to this option is the damage it can do (brick pavers on site).

The other options are stud the tires or get the tires filled with foam or liquid to weigh them down.

Just wondering what everyone else here is doing or if you all just deal with it.

I want to push a full box as far as I need to, what should I do?
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

or try low tires pressure to low that you could do.

I notice on my boss's 88's chevy 3500 with dually but rear tires are worn out but he want use for another 500 miles. if I fill to 55 PSI that what tires say but hard time get off in snow it would spin so decide low to 20 PSI but it look to be ready pop bead out rim but it did finally out snow then fill air to 30 psi then leave there until no snow on road.

Or keep less of snow like you can't push 1 time without no dump snow it hard to do that without traction.
  3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

We just deal with the spinning and avoid damage. It's not that the 16' is too big, but a 14' might do better if you want to carry the snow farther distances.
  4. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

check out Nokian Tyres...the same guys that make killer snow tires for cars make great tires for equipment...particularlly for handling in snow. They are European and Expensive but great traction particularly lateral grip in snow and much better wear characterisitics...will last 2-3 times longer so price is really a deal. I have a set of the TRI-2's coming for my 244J for next season. 360/80R20 a little narrower than my michelin 405/70R20's but will be killer in snow.

They also offer other models in tires sizes for large loaders. Check out the GRS for your larger machines.

Good luck

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's a fact of life, you just have to deal with. That last storm we got, was a pain to push, everyone had problems.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What he said.
  7. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Use more salt.
  8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Wouldn't it help to sipe loader tires? Or would it just cause the tires to get chunks torn out of them?
  9. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

We have 500lbs of antifreeze in each tire for more weight, other than that we deal with it, if somone doesnt like it...stay the hell home when it snows!
  10. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Since you mentioned foam, it will add quite a bit of weight (more than any liquid) but is very $$$$ and will most likely reduce your snow/ice traction as the tire tread will not "conform" as well to the surface.

Different tire compound/tread pattern (sipeing does help on ice) and/or liquid filling will all help. Chains of course, but you mentioned brick pavers, which they would scratch and could damage.
  11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i 3rd that

as far as chains go........well for a loader that size they call them "abrasion resistant" chain's (for rock mining) and they can run up to ~$30g per pair believe it or not!!!!!!!

i did'nt read OT's post number#2 butt flatten the tires

we have fluid in the rear of a deere 744 and it scales out with a 12yd "rollout" bkt at about ~72,000# and on ice it is a little "loose footed"

p.s. werent you the one about 4 months ago every one said "couldnt do it" ;) i am glad to see you can and i am excited to see some pic's
  12. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I appreciate everyone saying "Deal with it" there is a lot of truth to it....

BUT...the right tires will make a huge difference....dirt tires are not meant for ice/snow traction on pavement...but for slogging thru mud and dirt. Check out some of the Nokian's I mentioned or the Michelin Snoplus tires....both are made specifically for all weather traction on solid surfaces....they will kick butt over standard dirt tires. Kinda like how snow tires out perform mud/terrain tires on pick ups! Its not just the tread pattern though it is much better...lots of sipes and more contact but its also the rubber compound...stays compliant at lower temps.

All the snow removal loaders and graders in Montreal run specific snow tires and believe me they know snow and ice cold temps up there!

Just my two cents...I am getting some Nokians for next season...money where my mouth is payup
  13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

is this a liquid?...won't that be like 65 gallons in each tire?? wow...
  14. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Yes, it is a liquid. And, yeah, if a tire gets cut, youve got a huge cleanup on your hands.
  15. occ3377

occ3377 Member

we have a loader on our farm with duals all around, but after reading this i have yet to decide wheather or not more tires would help.

heres a pic,

Loader (2).jpg
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

NEW TIRES........youre kidding right? you do realize we are talking about big machines and not a skid steer right?.....

so just what do you think a new set of L4 29.5X25 for my deere will cost?......i jsut put new firestone super rock grip's on it so i cna tell you.....it was more than $75 per tire :rolleyes:

and besides the cost thing i think this guy had a few of these machines rented.but i can't remember?

SK if you decide to put new rubber on the dinasaur let me know i can always use a spare set,
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sort of what I was thinking, PJ.
  18. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I bet Big Red had no problems!tymusic
  19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

You don't need to buy new tires or $30,000 for chains...if you can run chains.

A set of SNOW chains is about $1000 to $1500 for a nice set of Pewag or Rudd.. up to a 980 sized cat...

The local street crews run $500 sets of ladder chains on everything up to a 950.

The citys around here don't run anything but graders/loaders. Never seen a $30,000 rock quarry set on the snow... Go up to the mine and sure... The State runs Pewag net chains for $1700 on a 644 Deere.

The state chains the fronts... the locals chain the rears. State does the front, because they are pushing back banks, locals the rear because they are plowing the roads.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  20. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Any more pics, looks like an older loader. Looks SICK, what do you use it for?wesport