1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loaders and pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carlriv, Oct 6, 2001.

1. carlriv

carlriv Guest

I have just been awarded the contract for my 5th parking lot (this one is almost as big as the first 4 combined). Last season I came close to buying a loader/backhoe. This year I need to buy one, and I think I want a snow pusher. I am not sure what size machine and pusher I need. The loader will be used only on the one lot, but will also be needed for loading sanders. I also do not want a machine that is too big for residential landscape work in the summer. Any thoughts
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Do a search on loaders and one on pushers. I guarantee you will find a plethora of information. This should answer most of your questions if not all.
    By the way welcome to plowsite. The people here are really great and very knowledgeable.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Trying to find a loader that is big enough to plow in the winter, and small enough to use on a yard in the summer is going to be tough. Your best bet is the going to be the Cat 914, a 15K loader, however it isn't going to be able to handle a big pusher.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Carl just curious where are you in Mass?
  5. ddm

ddm Member

Congrats on the contracts Carlriv. Just my 2 cents, like Geoff said a loader that will work well for you year - round won't handle a very big pusher. You may want to look into a seasonal rental for a bigger machine and buy a pusher that it will handle. You can get more precisely what you want right now, and see how things work out for the winter without a huge initial investment.

Regardless of what you do, a pusher is the way to go on a machine for clearing a lot of snow quick. And even if you decide to go with a smaller machine, I don't think you'll regret outfitting it with a pusher.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Just a thought but you may want to look into winter leasing one. I have done this before and it is usually very reasonable.
  7. carlriv

carlriv Guest

I looked at a cat 416b today looked nice. would a 12 or 14 pusher be best? how about the "wing plow" folds out to 16' from 10' also power angles. I need to do lots of long runs. Any other thoughts?
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would get a loader if you need to push wide and long would be the better bet .backoe would be good for small area. in my opinion.
  9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

A pusher is going to be cheaper w/ less maintenance than a wing plow.

You'll need to get just the right loader (ie IT series cat) to use a wing plow and use the loader bucket in the same hour.

I might look at 2 options:

1.) JCB 212 4WD 4WS 50hp unit. Small for commercial plowing. Big, but still usable for landscape work.

2.) A loader big enough to really move some snow will be way to big to do landscaping work with. What you really want is something like a Cat 936 or 950 with a 16, 18 or 20' pusher.

My story: We leased a 914 last year (dealer was out of the 924, which I wanted) and mounted to my 16' Daniels, the thing did the job, but not near as well as it could. Already got my 924 leased for this winter.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2001
  10. carlriv

carlriv Guest

Thank you for your response kent lawns. This is the type of feedback I was hoping for.

As far as purchasing or leasing a loader that is not going to happen.... I will either purchase or lease a backhoe.

The 16 foot daniels that you mention, is that a pusher or plow?

How about a 10-12 power angle plow on case 580 or similar 15,000 lb machine
  11. LI Brian

LI Brian Guest

Kent Lawn
    How much was it to lease a loader for the season????
  12. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

$7,000 to lease for the winter.

16' Daniels was a wing plow (Not pusher) Their pusher is new this season. And I've got mine on order!

A Daniels wing plow can be 2-6' wider than a pusher on the same machine because you "drive by" or slice through so much of the snow compared to carring it. Each has it's place, but overall I'd say the pusher is better.

10-12'? Always go wider. IMHO, I'd get the Daniels or Pro-Tech mid-size (the one for backhoes) that is 14'. I believe their 16' is the 50" (Full size, for Loaders) And that's too big for a Case 580.

Nobody wants a smaller pusher, they always would go bigger. (Or stay the same.)
  13. ddm

ddm Member

I don't much about the wing plows, never used one. We did have some loader problems last year, and for a brief period we put our 14' Protech (50" hgt; loader series) on a 590 Super L.

It would handle it, but not very well. I would assume the mid size pusher that Kent lawns mentioned would be much better for that size of machine. Once our pusher started filling up it was just too much for the backhoe; couldn't turn at all to speak of, and the loader arms are just too light for that big of load. Ours flexed enough that they put scratches on the hood.:eek:

We do have a 10' snow bucket on that machine now. We have some areas that have to be bucketed out and it works pretty well for us there. If you have just one machine I would get a pusher for it, and a dealer should be able to set you up with the size it will handle.
  14. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I also have some big lots to plow and I have some questions. If you are paying 7000 for a winter lease for a loader, does it pay? I ran the numbers on our local loader rate with a pusher and I dont think I would make anything paying that for the lease rate. I know thats not a bad price just dont know how the numbers add up? ;)
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

From our experience it works out much better to hire a subcontractor with a loader and operator. You don't have to find someone who has never operated heavy equipment before and you don't have the rental, lease or payments for the machine. It doesn't cost that much more per hour for the operator to be included.

We have been doing this since we started with pushers and it has worked out great for us.