1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by John Mac, Dec 18, 2008.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

For you guys with loaders or even tractors I need all the help I can get. Had a request from a long time customer to take over the snow removal of a very large lot they own. I am currently plowing for them by the hour with my pick up and spend about 4 hour at this location for a 2 to 3" storm and plow about 1/5 of the parking lot. They have been doing the rest with their own trucks and they just can't keep up with the snow. I suggested to them to hire us to do the whole parking lot with a large loader by the hour and their guys can just do the sidewalks and salting. I am thinking about at least a 3 yrd loader, I have a $50,000 budget.

1) What size pusher can you use, I am thinking 16'
    2) What size tractor would you need for a 16' pusher and can buy this tractor with 50k
    3) Don't need tractor for summer but can use a loader for summer work.
    4) Does $250 per hour sound about rite.?
    5) Does any one have a 3 yrd loader for sale?
    6) Would a tool carrier be an option?
    7) How much fuel difference between a 3 yrd and 4 to 5 yrd loader
    8) Any other advise you can offer ?

Thank you.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

this is kinda off your subject but if it were me and you just needed it for pushing only and not loading trucks i would get a 4x4 Massey Ferguson, 1980's model with a Cummins. you can get about 350-400 HP for around $10k and put $40k in your pocket....

3. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

For the money I would say a Case 621 and 14'-16' pusher, you should be able to find one less than 50. Do you have any use in the summer for it? Is the lot open with no cars or obstructions? The reason I would go for the loader is the stacking and loading ability, tractors are nice but not as good. I wouldn't go much bigger of loader, you lose maneuverability and they likely cost a little more. If you can get $250/hr that is awesome.

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Talk to local dealers for Deere, Volvo or Komatsu - have sales look into certified used for you and maybe get a machine to try out for a nite or two.

Certified will cost you money, but it makes me sleep better. Too many pricey parts on these things.

We bought a new Kamatsu tool carrier with a Danials. A couple things: It seems harder to stack with, you have to roll the blade back as raising the loader arms - or at least that's what I can figure so far. I was told the tires would be something in the snow, they are. But the nites we had problems, it seemed most everyone else did also.....

Bigger might not be better but my buddies Volvo 150 pushes a ton of snow, but 50k probably won't get you much of a 150. We have a WA200, it is what it is, it ain't gonna push a full 16' box but it rarely has trouble with the 16' blade which works better in our situation.

5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Stuve, funy you post that becasue that is exactly what I am looking at a 2001' Case 621c with 5300 hrs on 4 in bucket, not that matters much for $53000. My question is about the 16' pusher. So far no one has told me to go 14' so I think a 16' will work. Any suggestions on a pusher. Trip edge, steel, poly etc?

6. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Go with the steel trip edge.

7. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

For the stuff I had to plow, the 14' was about as big as I could go. I would think a 16' would work as well. That doesn't sound to bad of a deal. My observation on Case loaders is they don't seem to lose value real bad and parts are fairly reasonable. I would think you would want a steel edge. The trip edge would be interesting.