1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader vs. Backhoe Pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Dec 2, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I found a pretty good deal on a Komatsu 150 loader for the winter. Would you put a 100 hp, 18,000 lb loader behind a 12' backhoe pusher?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can go bigger if you want.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

That would be a great combination. I used to own a Komatsu 180 with a 12' protech backhoe model. It worked awesome! You could still get down the road from job to job with a 12 footer.

4. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

Agree, you can go bigger but 100 hp/18k lbs is same thing as a lot of backhoes

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our Dresser loader is 103hp and weighs in around 18k lbs and I think our 12ft push box is about all it can handle but the BX12 is a big, deep push box.

6. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

i have a kom. wa95 with a backhoe 12 protech it handles it know problem. Thinkin about gettin a 14 for it for just the 1-2inch storms. Yours should do just fine

7. lndscpe

lndscpe Member

On my Case W14B which weighs in at a about 16000lbs (95hp) my 12 ft Arctic HD is large as I would put on it. Its no problem when the snow is drier (lake effect snows) but as soon as you get the wet snows it becomes more of a challange on those long runs, it's not horsepower I run out of it's weight. In the same breath though I personally only run the HD's on the larger loaders.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Good to know fellas. I was more concerned about overwhelming the pusher rather than the loader. Now i'm kinda concerned about the loader. The 310G that I have the pusher on now can handle a full load of fairly wet snow and it can do it pretty easy. Well, easier than I thought it would.

I have two accounts that require stacking the snow in one spot and both of them have multiple 90 degree corners to get around. It seems as though a loader would carry the snow around easier because of the articulation.

9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I have 310d and the wa 95 both with the 12 and the loader turning ability is way better then the 310. Your thinking is correct

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We had a 14' backhoe model for our kawaski 60z, ended up bending the sideplates due to curbs. That site had a was a concrete curbed with lots of funky angles and such, even the loader model we replaced it with, if you really look you can see slight tweaks. The sideplates on a loader model are thicker & the gussets are larger as well. I ended upmgeting a 12' IST loader model for it which the combo seems to work out well.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run 4 12 ft Horst backhoe pushers on our JD 12,000 lb 95 up tractors and they can plow anything. Id run a 12 ft loader model on that loader as a loader model will carry a lot more snow.

12. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

If you already have the backhoe model it will work but you can go bigger I think.

13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It all depends on the brand and model of the pusher. A standard box plow weighs much less than a Artic sectional HD unit for example.. I have a Cat loader that weighs 18,000 and it pushes the 14ft Artic HD with no trouble, we do have it chained up at all 4 wheels. Its the lifting of the blade that weighs 3600 pounds. Makes the rear end pretty light. So we put the 14 ft on our 22,000 loader and put a Boss 12ft on the small loader. Boss only weighs 2000 pounds.

14. PhilFromErie

Yea, but if hes putting a Pro-tech a 12 or 14 foot loader will not be a weight concern i don't think, even if you go to a 12 foot loader model you will be pushing a lot more snow than a backhoe pusher.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The end plates are at min 12"+ longer and at the blade is 12"+ higher, I bet you carry 25% more snow, When you park a loader model and a backhoe model side by side the loader model dwarfs the backhoe.

16. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

12 ft HD

18000 LBS Loader = 12 ft 44-50 inches high minimum dont throw your money on a backhoe 36" high unit you wont be pleased.

17. PhilFromErie

I have 12 foot Pro-tec's in loader and hoe' models and the 2 comments above me are on point, we pushed a 20 foot loader with a 928 cat, bigger than yours but not a hell of a lot. I'd say at least 12 foot but don't be afraid of a 14 and definitively a loader mod.