1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader verse plow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mustang, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

I am currently running a number of plow trucks (Western Pro Plus, Blizzard 8611, 810s and have always been intrigued by loaders. Many a night I have been out there plowing and scraping when a loader shows up at a nearby property moving massive amounts of snow and the envy just oozes out of me. I really have no need for a loader other than snow so if I were to take the plunge I would have to justify it as a snow only machine. What are the considerations you have to think about when considering a loader? What size would be midrange that would give me considerable time savings verse a plow? Are loaders truly that much more productive than plow trucks as they look (or more so?)? Total newbie to a loader so any advice would be appreciated.

AdvancedDiesel and ClawM like this.
  2. Snowman

Snowman Junior Member

I have a 5085e tractor with 10ft pusher and it will move 10x the snow any of my trucks will. So yes a loader would put a truck to shame

3. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

Loaders rule the day when it comes to moving large amounts of snow quickly. I transitioned my snow business from a fleet of trucks to a fleet of loaders, and I never want to go back to having a fleet of pick up trucks again. I have dropped all of my small accounts and only take on new accounts that require the big iron on site

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I got 4 loaders that don't work in the summer months, Stay in that $18k to 25k it will support itself. You don't have to feed and water them while not in use.

AdvancedDiesel, ClawM and Philbilly2 like this.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They come in all sizes and hp.
    They are not for every parking lot.
    Visibility is better then a skid and truck.
    We run small to medium(ish) loaders. All depends upon the operator as well.

AdvancedDiesel likes this.
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We've got 2 621 Case loaders that are pushing 14 foot Arctic sectionals. In just about every case since we got them they will replace 2 trucks, most times 3 trucks.

Buy used loaders, 25k each and in less than 3 seasons you'll have paid for it instead of leasing them just for snow.

What are the trucks you're plowing with, 20 year old Tacomas?

I'm all for machines but you've got to be honest about production rates. A tractor with a 10 foot box on the loader is no more than 25% faster than a truck. To say it's 10x more productive is insane.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I been considering a Case, The parts and Dealers are all over, Would a 621 take more than the 14ft box if needed? The hoes are about the only thing anybody owns around here. A decent case will bring all of 25K in this area.

8. John_DeereGreen

I wouldn't have any issue putting a 16 foot box on one with good tires. They're 28k pounds plus. The reason ours have 14's is 1 it's all I could find fast and local and 2 we do road them from time to time.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This is bovine excrement.

My tractor with plows will, conservatively, move 50% more snow than a truck. Same plows, front and back. At times, it's closer to 100%, but I don't want to sound like a :terribletowel:.

10. Mark Oomkes

First oof, I hope all is well for you. And it's good to hear from you again.

Second, repair bills will be higher when something breaks.

Third, you need an operator or the repairs for the loader and property are going to bankrupt you. You can't throw anyone in it and tell them to have at it.

Those are the basics to start thinking aboot. What size? What size lots are you plowing? I know snowfall varies greatly for you, but how mulch on average?

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

You mean the guy :terribletowel: that comes in looking for work and tells you if it got wheels he can operate it. Thumbs Up

AdvancedDiesel and LR3 like this.
  12. Mark Oomkes

Yes, that one.

AdvancedDiesel and LR3 like this.
  13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I am offended... :rolleyes:

And it doesn't need wheels... tracks or floats are fine...

AdvancedDiesel, Mark13 and FredG like this.
  14. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I bought my first loader 4 years ago fiat Allis fr10 I run a boss bx12. I would say it replaced two trucks for the most part. On two accounts with stacking locations its 3 to 1 all day long. On one account that we do a lot of windowing it doesn't shine like a truck with a blizzard plow does. So chose your poison right tool for the right job.

15. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I do s couple of small lots 4 passes all done. I almost felt guilty the first year but it's an investment.

16. Snowman

Snowman Junior Member

Haha I use my tractor on a large commercial lot that all the snow has to be carried to one end. My pusher is 10' wide 42" deep and 39" high. I have 3500 trucks with 8 1/2' straight blade. You can't tell me that box won't carry 10x the snow. I didn't say rolling snowing. I said moving. Trucks are for tight areas and putting snow where the pusher can carry it

17. Mark Oomkes

I'm telling you it isn't 10x as much.

18. John_DeereGreen

So how long does it take with a truck to plow this property?

19. Snowman

Snowman Junior Member

So you think you can take a 8 1/2' plow and move all snow 700' across a parking lot and stack it faster. I'd have to see it to believe it. I didn't say a vplow or wideout. Just a straight plow. But I can take a plow and smoke tractor 2 to 1 on small lot that I can roll snow to edge of lot

20. Snowman

Snowman Junior Member

I wouldn't attempt it with 1 truck. I use 4 trucks and tractor. and time would depend on if there is 1 inch or 5 inches or 12 inches of snow