1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader traction!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cmo18, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Hey guys, well we pushed a few storms this years and after the first storm we
    Decide to run a set of chains on the rear of the loader. Well between them breaking, coming off and the annoying rattle I decide to look into snow tires.

Guys who run them swear by them, but they are pricy. Recaps are about 1500 each and brand new 2500.

My budget right now I can buy 2 recaps, would it hurt the machine to run 2 on the back or front and keep the other 2 stock?

What are you guys running? Our machine just spins but we do get a lot of snow when it snows and cold weather to follow.
  2. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

we use titan hulks

Extreme duty tires that spin easily but these are 1000hr tires. What I tell my guys is... Do not spin the tires get a running start, drop the push box and go. Spinning the tires heats them up and then you have ice under them. This works for us. We have a gehl 7810E with a 10' box. No problems.
  3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

no opinion from guys running the winter tread?

All our loader does is snow removal
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Need loader info and box size.

TJSNOW Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

The best loader snow tires, we feel, are Michelins but they're not affordable. Caterpillar has some decent Chinese tires called Hi-Lo that are less pricey and Nokian Tri2's seem to be good.
  7. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you can afford them.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

What make ?

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

The loader I run spins all the time, it's a Volvo and this year I have all uphill lots.

Talk about a pain in the ass,

The best part is when people think a loader can move mountains and come down the same lane as you and make you stop , our own shovelers do this **** makes me want to get down and beat them to a pulp

I doubt I'm getting snow tires though my wiper blades don't work and there's no friggen radio lol

I did watch some yuppie take his awd Acura into a unplowed lot and bury it, his eyes lit up when I got within inches of his car lol

Mark my words it will snow heavy in New York next year,

How do I know this, because when he calls begging me next year I'm telling him to pound salt, I'm done
  10. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

That's what we have on our John Deere 344H and they're great year around... Loading the screen in the nice weather and pushing snow in the winter! tymusic

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Are these nokians ?:dizzy::drinkup:
  12. alpine779

alpine779 Member

They look like Michelin x sno plus loader tires to me. Yes they are superior winter traction and they are pricey. I think I was quoted @ 2k each for a 20.5x25 and they were hard to get.
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

As for buying 2, keep saving your #. It's a BAD idea to run different height tires front and rear. Say goodbye to a pinion if you do so.
  14. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If you think that's expensive, try buying a skidder tire.
  15. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yes they are Michelin X SnoPlus. I believe every VT State loader and grader are running them.
  16. Tomaser

Tomaser Junior Member

maybe stud?

sorry for my spelling, im swedish :-D im useing tire stud http://www.best-grip.se/bestgrip-1900t/104-0

around 200-250 in each tire makes ahole difference at little cost, guessing u guys got something like that in the US,
  17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen an ad for those on this site, actually.
  18. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

im pretty sure Neige has snow tires on some loaders, I think he commented about them in his thread showing his tractor sliding. He said the nokians are good but the actual snow tires on his loaders are much better.

Cant you sipe your own tires? I think picasso has done this or has someone who does it for him.