1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader tires..not just snow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jc-8, Nov 12, 2015.

1. jc-8

jc-8 Junior Member

Been doing lots of reading seems like the Michelins or Nokians are great for snow .
    Whats a good tire/ good deal for a loader tire that is year round but still good in snow/ice?
    I'm not against recaps either.
  2. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

We have the stock tires on our 324 and 244. It does pretty good, but would love to hear opinions from people who have tried other tires.
  3. Lone Wolf Ent

Lone Wolf Ent Junior Member

I like the Michelins on my 928's.
  4. jc-8

jc-8 Junior Member

I guess model and radial or bias ply might get this ball rolling.....
    I think I'm more concerned with the idea that, if I buy snow/ ice radials will I get stuck in the mud that much more?!?
  5. birdog357

birdog357 Junior Member

We are manufacturing custom rims to run 22.5 semi tires on 244 and 324 loaders. These tires are taller and quite a bit narrower than the stocks so they give better traction in the snow. I went head to head with our 3.5 yd loader during a blizzard and was able to push a full plow in places where he could not push a full plow.

The tires we run are 11R-22.5 which is as tall as the optional 405/70-20 that you can get for these machines but has a section width of about 295mm vs 365mm for the stock 18" wheels. I clocked my top speed at a legitimate 22mph using a GPS. The rolling resistance is much lower too. I actually have to use my brakes now instead of just the inching pedal to slow down.

The total cost of the new rims plus the tires was about equal to getting new 365/70-18 tires.

These are not meant for year round use. You will sink if you go offroad, but they will ensure the floater tires last for many years since they won't be on pavement, and the cost to replace a semi tire is less than half the cost of the stock tires.

pictures on dropbox
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Those look bad ass.
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Very good idea,
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sweet.

Have to say with my tractors, I will not go back to bias R4 treads. Granted, they aren't going in the mud like a loader, but it just isn't worth it. I would do the same with a loader like birdog has.
  9. alpine779

alpine779 Member

We run the Michelin sno plus radials year round. 20.5x25's, traction is good on a variety of surfaces, they wear good but if you're gonna be in the clay/mud all the time you may want to go with another tread.
  10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Your just saying that because there is a sectional in the picture....Thumbs Up
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, the decal looks good, the machine is ok.
  12. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Are you shipping to Ontario Canada ?
  13. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

I'd be interested in a price for a couple sets delivered to Ontario Canada
  14. birdog357

birdog357 Junior Member

Please PM me your town or postal code and how many you want and if it's just wheels or wheels and tires too. My boss will be back from vacation on Tuesday so we can start putting pricing together.