1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader or Blower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Redfield, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Redfield

Redfield Junior Member

Was not sure the catagory to post this in - hoping you experienced guys can give me your thoughts.

I've got camp in Tug Hill - located in lake effect country north of Syracuse. We average 300"/year, but occasionally get upwards of 400". I want to keep a 3/4 mile of hilly section of unpaved/unplowed road open into camp. I can't plow every time it snows - probably closer to every couple of weeks, so the road does get compacted. Not uncommon to have 4' on the road with higher drifts.

I'm thinking of a 50 to a 100 hp loader or payloader with a 2 or 3 yd. bucket - with a snow pusher for when the road is plowable. Some buddies are suggesting a heavy duty truck or tractor mount blower.

Equiptment will stay on site year around. Already have a good snowmobile, but often too deep to break trail right after getting hammered. For example - we got 30" in 12 hours this past Thrusday night.

What's your thoughts (besides buy a good set of snowshoes and forget about it:)?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like the snow blower idea.
  3. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

i would go with the blower because i'd imagine those drifts get pretty darn high
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

blower on the front of a loader. :), that way if it gets real deap you can lift the blower up, and you also have the utility of a loader.
  5. 01lariat

01lariat Member

You'll need a bigger loader than 100hp. I had a Case W20C. That there was about 110hp and for what you describe ( I can't imagine) that loader wouldn't have scratched it. You'd need alot heavier and more power. Something like a 950 Cat would be my choice, but I think in your case a large blower might be better with less money invested. Things like a 950 Cat don't come cheap. Maybe a blower on a smaller loader like a W18c, 544 JD?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. karseneau012500

karseneau012500 Junior Member

My uncles has a McCormick farm tractor i think that its only a 65 or so horse. but he has a big PTO driven blower that will go through just about anything. For doing long stretches that would be the way to go. No place to put the snow with a loader. IMO
  7. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Junior Member

Thats a no brainer blower
  8. Redfield

Redfield Junior Member

Looks like the blower suggestion is unanimous. I was just a bit worried about the blower picking up rocks from the unpaved road and shearing or breakind something - and how the blower would do with crusty/compacted snow.

Anybody have suggestions for tractor/blower size/manu. for my application?

This looks like a nice set up - but a tad out of my price range:)
  9. jason t.

jason t. Member

realistically, depending on your budget, you could get by with a decent sized skid steer and a 66" blower. Some may doubt it, but i have no problem getting through frozen 8-10ft piles that the city leaves on the corner of the sidewalk.
  10. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower et. al.

Take a trip down to Cummings and Bricker, I think they are local Pronovost snow blower dealer.

The idea being the traveling in reverse at a slow speed will give you maximum power take off power at the 540 rpm power take off throttle setting and it will remove everything packed ice and all. after you open a path way you can increase the speed a little and take a half width each time being able to throw the snow further and faster.

Obtaining a tractor such as a 40 horse power Kubota B 7800 with Hydrostatic drive(automatic-variable speed) Curtiss cab with heater and wipers and a Pronovost snow blower and front mount it- by obtaining a buckeye tractor rear to front power take off kit:
    They build these things and guarantee them as their web site will describe them to you-thier folks are very freindly and knowlegeable about tractors too.

Buying a Kubota front mounted blower(which is made by RAD in canada) is also an option
    but they custom build for many tractor lines and are very behind in thier orders this year.

The Buckeye rear PTO to front of tractor pto unit:

It consists of a one to one gear box attached to the PTO stub shaft to a propeller shaft mounted underneath the tractor delivering power to the front of the tractor and snow blower or other three point hitch PTO powered attachment. It will give you all the versatility of being able to mount a mower up front

You will be seriously impressed about Pronovost as they have great line of canadian made tractor mounted snow blowers at a lower horse power range as well-not saying the ones built here in the states are slouches either.

The other option is a pickup truck mounted snowblower such as is offered by Hanson snow blower; the problem with them being they have a small throat area but they will handle packed snow very well as shown on their web site in numerous videos. They would be slow just like a tractor mounted unit as the fans are not very big with the full width open auger versus the size of a tractor mounted blower fan unit.

The tractor mounted Bielhack snow blowers offered by tracey road equipment are a full width fan unit with a taper entry throat for full delivery and blowing with a huge fan in each model. dont hesitate to use WD Fourty on the surfaces as it does wonders for snow throwing. :cool:
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  11. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If money is a concern, blower on the back of a tractor will give you the best for the money. Go with a Pronovost or Normand. Solid set ups that will blow the snow, ice, and gravel with out breaking every snow.