1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader or bigger truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenM, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KenM

KenM Junior Member

I'm looking for some advise. I have been doing the snow and ice removal at my place of employment for 12 years. I would like to greatly reduce my overall time in removing the snow. I am a full time maintenance eng. and part of my responsibilities is snow removal so contracting out is not an option for me however I can occasionally call for weekend help. My property has 120,000 sq ft of parking and I have 1300 ft of sidewalk. I do all of the work myself including salting. I am employed at a church and our doors are open for about 14 hours 7 days a week. The church owns a 1 ton Dodge with plow and a 3 year old Cub Cadet (no cab) 8454SS (45hp) with loader and rear mount grader/plow blade. I have a separate machine for the sidewalks that is adequate for me. I would really like to reduce my time in the lot. I have curb around most of the lot and the snow must go over the curb as to not lose spaces . I have alot of space to stack but I would have to move the snow to those areas. Windrowing works on light snow falls. I have some short pushes and some long pushes. I have looked into purchasing a JD544 or CAT920 and pusher. I know these machines are big. I also thought of maybe a bigger truck but don't know what to look for. I would appreciate your input. Ken
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

LOADER better yet JOHN DEERE loader!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

what about a nice set of simple plow wings for the old dodge? would save you alittle time I have seen plow blades put on quick connects like a loader bucket for tractors. But who wants to be on a tractor with no heat.
  4. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

good size skid steer and a box blade.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

I bought my fist loader 4 yrs ago. now we have 3 volvo l70s its they way to go.:drinkup:
  6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I plow a church parking lot of similar size. I use a 1 ton dump truck with a blizzard 8611lp. Depending on snowfall amount, it will take 1 to 2 hours to fully plow and salt. If I was a straight blade, it would probably take 3x longer to do.
  7. KenM

KenM Junior Member

What size skid steer (weight/hp) and box blade. The dealer I bought my tractor from told me a 8 foot box blade would be too big. My tractor weights 4800 lbs.
  8. KenM

KenM Junior Member

I do have a straight blade on my truck. What size V do you have? If I could plow my site in 1 to 2 hours with a V blade I would be happy! I have had contractors help me out and they would show up with 2 trucks both bigger than mine and they couldn't even plow the lot that fast. Now I'm not talking about 2 inches of light snow here either. My lot is broken up into sections with multiple drives. I have alot of curb and side walks next to curb. A V blade would be helpful in those areas but I would have to push the snow a couple hundred feet away. Thanks for your input. Ken
  9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I vote v plow with wings or 8611lp that would be a huge increase in efficiency without another 30-40k for a skid steer and box. Fast travel speed, doesn't take up too much space when not in use, and won't cost you any extra to insure. Just my .02