1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader or backhoe?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Brian Young, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We recently picked up 2 large parking lots that are way too big for my skid steer. I will be brand new to driving a wheel loader but have been around them plowing for years, not really paying much attention to them just staying out of their way,lol. I found a 1999 Dresser 510C and was wondering how well and efficient it will be with a 12ft push box on it. Or should I try to find a larger 4wd back hoe and will the back hoe do the same job as a loader of this size do. Thanks in advance.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

loader is the way to go, we bought our first one last year, and it has been one of the best assets i have ever gotten. Fast, manuverable, and easy to drive.

3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Go with the loader but I would buy a bigger box for it you have alot more pushing power with a loader than a hoe and like GV said more maneuverable and you can stack the plies higher. if you can run a skid steer you can run a loader.and there alot more fun than a skid steer.

4. Brian Young

How much bigger of a box would you suggest? Then machine has 103hp and a 1.75/2yrd bucket. One of the lots is at least 150 yards long but flat and the other is around 100 yards long and a slight up hill push.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

loader is the way to go unless your looking for dual work where a bachoe can dig in the summer?most loader just sit during the summer unless your doing sub divisions or doing road pip work.

one other thing a dresser is front articulation vs sitting in the rear of it you said you never ran one before i would try that out first i had a hough it take a little getting used to when you back up because your ass end is not what your sitting on going straight is ok. just food for thought.

6. Brian Young

Cool, thanks for the tip. Never would have thought of anything like that. Would it make a good pusher? As I said before, never had a reason to buy one til now.

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would say backhoe so you could possibly use it in the summer, but a loader is going to be better at pushing and be able to do more pushing and stacking. If you go with a loader, I would say you could push a 14'.

8. buckwheat_la

some advice on the size of box, check your local laws on the subject. there are different rules on transporting around wide loads, and you may find that you have to do a bunch of extra stuff with a 14 or 16ft push. When i did mine for my loader, i made a 10ft push but i made it very deep, so i could still push a bunch of snow over a longer push with no overflow, and i avoided a bunch of stupid rules i would have had to follow with getting a 12ft one. Keep in mind to, how much fun it well be moving a 14/16ft pusher on city streets, it is easy to run out of room to move when you are that wide.JMO

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes i think it would be a good pusher also i guess depends on your lot sizes too a bigger lot you would want a bigger machine and bigger pusher but like every one is thinking if you are doing multiple lots and are transporting it down the st a bigger pusher mught be to your dis advantage unless you get those street leagal that fold up for transport. mist of the guys around gere use a cat924 ,komatsu 180, volvo L70 that i have seen doing like a target last year the target and lowes near me had backhoes with pushers from a rental co.

10. Brian Young

I saw a real nice Komatsu 180 on line but the price was a bit too much. This Dresser is clean and the fact the dealer will fix all the glass, give it a full service and put 4 new tires on it all for mid to low 20's is a good price, plus it keeps it local.

As far as loader size, according to PA vehicle laws there is an exemption for snow removal equipment or so I'm told.

11. buckwheat_la

there may be a exemption for loader size but it won't be any fun moving a large pusher with only inches between you and lamp posts...

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well dealer suport is good if they are going to go thru it give you 4 new tires just make sure that center pin is tight if it's loose let them fix that too as part of the deal .

13. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have a 14' for my hoe and it does all right up to about 6" of wet snow in about 100 yds but if I have it on the Michigan 75 ( 3 yd loader) it does not slow down. but like Buckwheat-la said check with your state police to see about restrictions for wide loads here they have never say anything because its snow removal.

14. Brian Young

I checked with some friends of mine (Troopers) who read right out of the vehicle code book "snow removal equipment" is exempt from width restrictions. The only thing I will need is a "specialized plate" to run it on the roads and turn signals.

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If your going to run down the road I would NOT get anything bigger than 12ft. I don't run big snow equipment down the road much but I drive farm tractors down the road all year long. Anything wider than 12ft can be a pain in the butt in good weather, forget in the snow with idiot drivers.
    Robert

16. onsight

onsight Senior Member

You should also look at protechs foldable pusher - I have a 14'. It only takes a couple minutes to fold/unfold.