1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader driving tips

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snow storm, Nov 10, 2011.

1. snow storm

snow storm Junior Member

I'm NOT new to the business. I have been plowing roads with a Ford truck and doing shoveling detail for four years. HOWEVER, This year I am amping up and got a new parking lot contract that is pretty simple and easy. The thing is - i have never driven a loader before and that is what i will be using (Case 721E). I just want to know if you guys have any tips that you can give a beginner. Of course, I will have someone showing me the ropes at first and helping me learn but its nice to get lots of perspectives and input. Anyway, I hope this doesnt mean that you are going to tease me on here. By the way, I am a girl!!
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am guessing you will be using a push box? Thing to remember is you can do alot more damage with a large piece of equipment. Take your time and year your seatbelt. I used to plow for an excavation company, and over the years I have seen some serious damage to property and equipment.

Welcome to the site
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's all about using common sense.If you use it,you'll be fine.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Watch out for the blue hairs walking in the parking lot.
  5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

AHhahahha Grandview...

Yupp as stated above. Loaders are just like a big truck, take it slow and just stay in your lane!

If you have to carry a box just watch the ends of it. In addition to to other people.

There is really no "tricks" to it. Common sense!

I can give you the advice an old sailor gave me when I bought my first boat over 25' long when I asked how fast should I pull into dock.

Never go faster then you are willing to hit it..

good luck and you will find it fun running a new piece of equipment.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Last year was the first year for a loader for me, I was nervous/excited to run it. We drove it home from a dealer that was about 15 miles away and that was my "training". The best way I think is once you get to know all the controls, take it for a fews dry runs and get familiar with where the snow is going to go, any obstructions or curbs etc. Actually after the first few storms I was kind of bored running it.
  8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Love it! That's exactly my thinking.

I gotta say, just take it easy. Loaders do a good job of putting curbs and parking stops into the snow pile.
  9. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Well, as mentioned before, common sense is #1. With that being said, if you are NOT using a push box and just the bucket?, be very, VERY, VERY sure about what is hiding in the snow. I say this because most truck blades have a trip mechanism on them, so if you hit something, the plow folds or gives and you keep going. With a wheel loader (or backhoe, skid steer etc.) bucket, it is solid. If you have the front wheels off the ground and all the weight on the buckets front edge (This is especially true when trying to clear hard pack or ice), you can do some serious damage to water valve access covers, manholes or even strip up the pavement!.

The wheel loader is so heavy that as the operator, you may not even feel the bucket edge shearing off a small object like a PVC sewer pipe clean out cap or whatever else the geniuses left sticking up in the lot when they did the install. On the other end of the spectrum, hitting a manhole cover could be enough force to throw you out of the seat and into or through the windshield!. Good luck!
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I can tell you what not to do.

Don't go for about 28 hours or more without sleep, then when returning the loader go around some jackwagon on a bike on icy roads and do a complete 360 on a 4 lane road and fill your drawers.

It does have the side effect of waking you up though.
  11. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Wear your seatbelt. We've replaced a few windshields; luckily, no heads yet.
  12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

by my 28th hour i am usually seeing pink pandas appear lol. purplebou

No matter what im in, truck, loader... all the same!
  13. cold_and_tired

I saw pink elephants at hour 54 once. Snow plowing and sleep deprivation are the best drugs I've ever had!
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I like it when the road starts moving and the center line is dancing around. Definitely time for a nap at that point.
  15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What about the clown faces in the snow that I've seen?
  16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Seen this happen, not a pretty site. Guy was in a grader and caught an inlet, he went through the windshield and it tore the turntable off. :eek:
  17. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

slow down when approaching curbs and yes wear your seatbelt and watch your extremities on plow. If your plowing on ice don’t go too fast otherwise you are going to watch yourself crash into something in the slowest motion possible when you go to use your brakes. This is not a good feeling TRUST ME
  18. snow storm

snow storm Junior Member

Thank you so much for the GREAT advice!! Im hearing a theme and I will definitely remember to take it easy, wear my seatbelt, watch for obstacles and use my common sense. I am feeling so much more better about this new adventure ahead of me! you guys eased my mind a little. although i am still nervous, you guys helped me to have a little bit of confidence (but not too much!) THANKS!!!
  19. snow storm

snow storm Junior Member

I guess I shouldnt try that loader wheelie i saw on youtube any time soon ;)
  20. cold_and_tired

I've done it once...on accident. I was loading trucks and came off the pile just a bit too fast. I had the bucket in the air and stood on the brakes just a little too hard. Didn't hurt the machine but it took almost an hour to pull the seat out of my butt.