1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader batteries

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cmo18, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Last storm was not a great storm. My loader's alternator over charged and blew up everything!

SO I'm in the market for some new batteries. It is a 24volts system, and any equipment batteries I can find only come with 1 year warranty.

Or I can go buy 2 truck batteries for an extra 40$ and get 5 years warranty possibly 10 years. WIth more CCA

My question is will this hurt anything?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Your post is a little vague regarding voltage and quantity so I might be missing something here.Won't hurt a thing as long as you wire the 2 12 Volt batteries in series to create 24 volts.The downside is that you will only have the CCA of 1 of those batteries.I would stick with the 24 volt battery or batteries for more pop starting on those cold mornings despite the 1 yr. warrantee.

3. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

By truck batteries are you talking the group 31 batteries like those on bigger trucks should work.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

That's all mine both use. My older Fiat I sold had something different in it though, I guess those ones were crazy expensive. When they died I just brought them in & said give me replacements.

5. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

batteries

what kind of loader ? both of our loaders [950cat and hanomag 55] have 2 12 volt 4D batteries run in series to make 24 volt these have been in for a very long time with no issues

6. dsears

dsears Junior Member

the batterys you're referring to are 8d batterys there're used in larger equipment the 4d batterys will work i would suggest interstate batterys they seem to last longer then most

7. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

8D's are slightly larger and heavier, and have slightly more capacity than 4D's

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The OP has come and gone over 3 weeks now without so much as an acknowledgement or a thank you and this thread is still alive.Just saying.

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

They have benn getting allot of snow in that are. He also had some issues with that dodge diesel. I'm sure he will come back soon

My dump truck is 12 volts and as far as I can tel it's a 12 volt system and the batteries are wired together. I didn't think it was that easy to make 24 volts. How's it done?

10. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

The OP does seem to be absent but someone may learn something from the thread . That said.
    12 volt with 2 batteries is 1st bat - to frame + to + on 2nd bat then 2nd bat + to starter and 2nd bat - to frame
    24 volt with 2 batteries is 1st bat - to frame + to - on 2nd bat then 2nd bat + to start

if you follow the lead back from the starter there will be 2 large wires on the + side bat terminal in a 12 volt system only one on a 24 v system

snowin now goin to bed good luck yall